The big decision to commit

Caroline Weatherly, Reporter

Staying close to home was a huge factor in Abby Gargus’s decision to continue her volleyball career at Houston Baptist University.

Abby Gargus and her teammates on her official signing day“On my first visit to HBU I knew it was going to be my college home,” Abby said. “The campus atmosphere is amazing and Houston is close to home which was also comforting.”

Abby has been playing volleyball since she was seven years old and just finished out her last high school season.

Gargus finished with the District 14-5A MVP, TGCA 5A All State, and was the 12th-ranked setter in Texas according to MaxPreps.

“It was a huge honor to receive all of these awards,” Abby said. “I feel like these are things I have to show for all of the effort I put into the prosper volleyball program.”

These awards reflect Abbys experience and leadership on the court which was a big draw in the universities decision to sign her.

Gargus has made many close friends through playing.

“One thing I’m not looking forward to is leaving my friends,” Abby said. “But when I took my official visit and spent some time with the existing team and other commits they were all really nice and welcoming. I don’t think I’m going to have a problem making friends there.”

For many students the thought of student loans and the debt that comes along with them is overwhelming.

“A huge factor in my commitment was the fact that I received a full scholarship,” abby said. “This is a huge weight off my shoulders and my parents.”

Not many high school athletes get to continue their sports career into college.

This isn’t an opportunity that should be taken for granted.

“I feel very blessed to continue my volleyball career,” abby said. “I definitely wasn’t ready to stop playing after this season so I’m really excited about beginning my first college season next year.”