Collin County releases details on student arrest

Junior Zane Beasley holds a  sign for the walkout Friday, April. 12. Students started the protest during the Eagle Time study hall, which begins at 9:50 a.m. each day.

Junior Zane Beasley holds a sign for the walkout Friday, April. 12. Students started the protest during the Eagle Time study hall, which begins at 9:50 a.m. each day. "Chase's case was the last straw," Beasley said. "... I think it's abhorrent - just absolutely despicable that Chase is getting punished for stepping in and helping out ... ."

Emma Gnidziejko

Emma Gnidziejko

Emma Gnidziejko

Neha Madhira, Editor-in-Chief

Developing story

As listed on their website, Collin County officials showed Chase Richard Tyson, 17, was booked into custody Wednesday, April 11, and students have started a petition on his behalf.

The offense the county website listed in association with Tyson’s information was “assault causes bodily injury,” which is a Class A misdemeanor. According to student reports, this occurred because of a fight between Tyson and another student in the school cafeteria during the Eagle Time study hall period April 10.

Students said school officials saw and stopped the fight. The extension of the Collincountytx.gov site noted a bond of $500 was set. Tyson was confined “0” days, the judicial online search site reported.

Students who are participating in an online petition at Change.org say they want the school and other officials to “Exempt Chase from Punishment.”

An anonymous “Prosper Student” started the petition on Change.org, April 10, Wednesday evening.

“If you believe Chase Tyson’s actions were justified, and he shouldn’t be punished for standing up for a disabled student, sign this petition,” the Change.org petition originator said.

More than 1,400 people had signed it by 1:30 p.m., April 11.

More information will be released as it comes available.

Neha Madhira, Editor-In-Chief

Neha Madhira is a senior and Editor-in-Chief of Prosper High School's newspaper, Eagle Nation Online. She was accidentally moved into Journalism I as a...

13 Comments

13 Responses to “Collin County releases details on student arrest”

1. Jane Manner on April 11th, 2019 7:11 pm

Why would you post this about one of your peers?
    This is shameful!

2. Marlene Osentoski on April 13th, 2019 9:33 am

We need young people to stand up for those who cannot defend themselves. Perhaps other resolutions could have been taken but this young man should be exonerated of charges if his actions were in defense of a handicapped or disabled person.

3. Mary on April 13th, 2019 12:11 pm

Iam not a student .I beleive Mr Tyson’s actions were justified I would do the same.

4. Laura DeWitt on April 13th, 2019 12:21 pm

Someone has to protect our Special Needs children

5. Angie washburn on April 13th, 2019 12:47 pm

Over a fight? No details were giving ?what happen ?

6. Dawna Minor on April 13th, 2019 2:39 pm

Persons who verbally, mentally or physically abuse any disabled person should be reprimanded severely. There is should be no excuse for abuse of any kind by any individual. Disrespect is growing and it starts where people learn.

7. Dawna Minor on April 13th, 2019 2:40 pm

Persons who verbally, mentally or physically abuse any disabled person should be reprimanded severely. There should be no excuse for abuse of any kind by any individual. Disrespect is growing and it starts where people learn.

8. Susan Forsythe on April 13th, 2019 3:05 pm

Let’s regard him as a hero instead. He stepped up to the plate and defended the helpless it sounds. Most parents would be proud of their kids for such a selfless act and display of high morals.

9. Tammie on April 13th, 2019 6:50 pm

No. He needs to face whatever charges were filed. He needs to know that violence is never the answer. People need to stop trying to bend the rules. Stop trying to justify his actions. Two wrongs doesnt make a right.

10. A on April 14th, 2019 10:37 pm

Maybe you should release the correct full story.

11. pip on April 15th, 2019 8:39 am

Delet this.. it’s just disrespectful

12. E on April 15th, 2019 2:49 pm

This is a completely false story. There was no Special Needs Student Involved. There was no bullying involved. Just a Student looking to start a fight with a completely innocent kid. Check with your own school for Facts before you put out stories.

13. E on April 15th, 2019 3:08 pm

Let’s make sure we are telling the correct story.

The Special Ed Student in question is NOT special needs. He is a very normal 15yr old with regular on level courses. You don’t approach bullying by becoming a bully. While the student that took action into his own hands may have thought he was helping out a special needs child who was being bullied, he was misinformed and just ended up beating up an innocent student, who was not bullying anyone. Now, a student went to jail, a student has a broken nose, and a student is being labeled SPED.

• Collin County releases details on student arrest

News

Academic UIL competes in regional competition

News

HOSA, Carter Blood Care organize blood drive for students

Lifestyles

Hope Squad program to come to Prosper after teen suicide

News

Recycling program organizers ask students to avoid putting trash in recycling bins

News

Principal reinforces dress code rules over intercom

News

Measles case reported in Prosper

News

Prom location, cost and more to know before the dance

News

Juniors can apply to leadership camp by Friday

News

The show must go on: Talonettes reflect on a successful competition, prepare for the next

News

Interact club makes blankets for local animal shelter