Song Review: Jonas Brothers ‘Cool’ equals not so-cool,’ mediocre summer song trapped in early 2000s

An image of the Jonas Brothers

An image of the Jonas Brothers "Cool," which released April 4, sits atop a high school trash can. The song already received backlash on social media. According to sophomore reviewer Katie Johnson, despite the enormous success of their debut-single "Sucker" since their six-year break, "Cool" sounds like an unreleased song from 2005, and not in a good way.

Katie Johnson

Katie Johnson

Katie Johnson

Katie Johnson, Staff Writer

Too little, too late. This statement marks the perfect way to sum up The Jonas Brothers’ latest song, “Cool.” Released April 4, the song already received backlash on social media. Despite the enormous success of their debut-single “Sucker” since their six-year break, ‘Cool’ sounds like an unreleased song from 2005, and not in a good way.

The overly simple lyrics mixed with Nick Jonas’ overly-autotuned voice is a disaster in a three-minute song. Nothing about the song stands out in any way, and the music video isn’t any better.

The video starts out with an over-exposed beach scene, with each brother sitting in a chair in matching suits, a typical 2000’s cliche. On top of the horrible shape transitions throughout the video, a filmmaker’s nightmare, the obnoxiously bright colors of dancers add to the eyesore of a video.

To put it lightly, don’t be a “sucker” and give “Cool” a skip. It’s a song worth passing.

Katie Johnson, Reporter

Sophomore Katie Johnson grew up in San Diego, Calif., She moved to Texas in 2011 and moved to Prosper in 2015. Other than the newspaper, Johnson participates...