Filed under Blog, Opinion

REVIEW – UIL Theatre presents One-Act Play ‘Eurydice’

The

The "Stones" practice their pose as a tree for Eurydice. The one-act play will be performed again Saturday March 23. The Prosper Eagle Theatre Company advanced to state last year (2018) and will compete in districts this year.

Eileah Hale

Eileah Hale

Eileah Hale

The Prosper Eagle Theatre Company presented their UIL One-Act play, Eurydice, in the school auditorium, March 19. The company will perform “Eurydice” again for OAP districts at the school auditorium Saturday, March 23, around 11:30 a.m. Audiences can expect each cast member to portray their characters with confidence and elegance. The play, written by Sarah Ruhl, adapts from the Greek myth of Orpheus. However, director Vicki Kirkley and assistant director Jillian Gillmore cut down and altered the original hour and a half long play to meet UIL requirements. In the 40 minutes allotted, the cast and crew managed to conclude the show in only 36 minutes. Eurydice’s actors bring a timeless story of young love and tragedy to life through their intense rehearsals and passion.

Senior Carynne Sutton plays the main character, Eurydice, and she assumes the persona perfectly. Sutton’s talent for producing authentic emotion, coupled with her simple yet beautiful costume (a white wedding dress and bare feet) is what creates Eurydice’s character of youthful innocence yet deep infatuation for Orpheus. The play introduces many unique characters, the majority being the “Chorus of Stones,” played by nine actresses. They are rather abstract and unspecified. The only thing we know for sure is that they live in the “Underworld.” These actresses excel at portraying the eerie fourth-wall-breaking “Stones” in their unconventional costumes. Junior Zoe Castañeda played her role fantastically as the implied villain of the play, the Interesting Man, with the smooth confidence yet harsh aggression you would expect from the lord of the underworld. The play features others, including seniors Seth Heil and Quinton Williams, who continue to impress throughout the show.

The crew and directors created a  simple and practical set. With the cool-toned lighting, well-timed sound effects and whimsical music, the scenery sparks the audience’s imagination as soon as the cast steps on stage. I highly recommend this play because of the cast’s superior talents and the crew’s creative work. 

Lights, camera, action: Writer gives Oscars review, recap

Grace Williamson, Reporter

Grace Williamson was born and raised in Prosper, and she is currently a sophomore. She plans on pursuing a career in psychology. She loves pretzels and...