Filmmaking, video shoots come to life
with Eagle Production Group

Kester Muthalaly

Senior Isaac Carpio sets up his camera for the Jason Elmore performance. Elmore is the lead singer and guitarist of “Jason Elmore & Hoodoo Witch.” Members of the Eagle Production Group filmed the performance in the Eagle Nation News studio on Thursday, Feb. 21. “My favorite part of teaching this class is bringing artists in,” EPG adviser Michael Logan said. “I get to share my love of music and videos with the class.”

The Eagle Production Group is a class for advanced filmmakers that specializes in professional video shoots and short films.

“We had a professional guitar player come in, and we recorded him playing live,” said Micheal Logan, EPG’s teacher. “We also film and live-stream events. It’s basically a small production company made up of myself and my students.”

Occasionally, EPG partners with Eagle Nation News. They’ve produced public service announcements for student broadcast station that have aired repeatedly.

“There was a smoking PSA that has aired multiple times, which was made by one of my students,” Logan said. “As far as content for them, it’s mostly PSAs and commercials.”

Some of their work is posted on their YouTube channel, EagleProductionGroup. Ranging from live music recordings to documentaries, Eagle Production Group does it all.

“Usually students gravitate towards what they’re interested in,” Logan said. “Some gravitate towards cinematography, some towards sound and some towards writing or directing.”

Not only do the students create films for the school, but they also travel across the country to compete in film competitions.

“We go to New York City every October for the All American High School Film Festival,” Logan said. “We attend the Student Television Network conference, which is in Seattle this year.”

When my kids graduate, they have a portfolio of professional videos they’ve made, so a lot of them can get jobs in the industry after they graduate.

— Michael Logan, Eagle Production Group adviser

Students are able to use their works to build their portfolios and resumes when looking to apply for colleges or jobs.

“When my kids graduate, they have a portfolio of professional videos they’ve made, so a lot of them can get jobs in the industry after they graduate,” Logan said. “Since we work with a community and a bunch of entities in the area, oftentimes students will go on to work professionally for them.”

Creative freedom is given to students, allowing them to make movies of many different types.

“I’m making an action movie right now, it’s going to be about 15-20 minutes long,” said Caiden Jackson, a student director and editor. “We also have a Spider-Man movie coming up.”

Students can submit their works to UIL competitions and occasionally win awards for their creations.

“My favorite film is the last one I made. It’s called the Bootlegger,” Jackson said. “It got to UIL semi-finals.”

Eagle Production Group is a high-quality course perfect for anyone interested in filmmaking.

“If you want to join the class, do it. EPG is awesome,” Jackson said. “It’s the best class you could possibly take if you want to pursue filmmaking in your future.”

One of the films coming out soon is the newest Shattered Dreams video, which will coordinate with the Shattered Dreams event.

“Shattered dreams is the video that promotes no drinking and driving,” said Samuel Funk, a senior in EPG. “This year it’s going to be amazing.”

For those interested in joining the Eagle Production Group, it’s the second to fourth levels of the class. A student would start with Principles of AV Production, then move forward into the video production classes.

“My favorite part of teaching this class is bringing artists in,” Logan said. “I get to share my love of music and videos with the class.”

Billboard blues artist Jason Elmore comes to Prosper