Lady Eagle basketball anticipates deep run heading into playoffs

Jordyn Oliver celebrates with teammates in Prosper's 63-62 win Tuesday, Feb. 5. Oliver finished with 25 points on the night. This was senior night for Oliver and the rest of the Lady Eagles.

Sydney Washburn

Sydney Washburn

Sydney Washburn

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

The Lady Eagles have been on an impressive run that saw them finish the regular season with a 24-10 overall record covering preseason and district play. The ladies have been in the middle of an uber-competitive District 9-6A where they finished in second place and clinched a playoff spot. In a district as competitive as this one, games rarely lacked intensity. Tuesday put this on full-display in Prosper’s 63-62 win on senior night against Plano.

Closing win vs. Plano

After falling earlier in the season 48-40, the Lady Eagles looked for redemption on their home court against Plano for the final district game. The Ladies jumped out quickly to start the first quarter but fell behind in the second. However, they only found themselves down a manageable two points at halftime. The third quarter gave the Lady Eagles a cushioned lead as they outscored the Wildcats 20-10. Even though Prosper held the lead entering the final quarter, they let the Wildcats back in the game, which eventually forced an overtime period. In a perfect ending to an electrifying district season, the Ladies slid past the Wildcats by a one-point margin in overtime. Proud All-American Jordyn Oliver led the ladies in scoring with 25 points.

By ending the district season in such an exciting way, the Lady Eagles should have quite a chunk of momentum as they prepare for hopefully their first of many playoff matchups. Now that it is playoff time, Prosper being in such a competitive and tight district race has been the greatest gift they could ask for. With almost every game coming down to the wire, the team should feel more prepared for the same kind of scenarios that could play out in the postseason.

First playoff matchup

In their first playoff game, the Prosper Lady Eagles will travel to Pottsboro to take on the Rowlett Eagles next Tuesday. Rowlett also placed second in their district and finished with a 20-15 overall record. In fact, these two squads faced off earlier this season where Prosper took the 57-51 win.

On paper, these two teams seem comparable in district placing and overall record. But as mentioned before, Prosper has played in a much tougher district with every district game having the intensity and major impact similar to a playoff game.  And if everything else is almost similar between the two, the experience of Prosper might very well be the difference in the matchup.

Lady Eagles advance to playoffs after competing against Plano Senior 63-62

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer

Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports...