Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Are there benefits to blocking apps?

Are there benefits to blocking apps?

Certain apps and websites are blocked to ensure students are staying focused on their academics. According to editorial writer Kennedy Wyles, limiting a student's rights at school can restrict them from getting a better education. Media literacy is necessary, especially in schools.

Kester Muthalaly

Kester Muthalaly

Kester Muthalaly

Editorial writer says ‘No’

As technology becomes more advanced, we find ourselves depending on our iPhones more and more each day. However, when we come to school, we are restricted from using the apps and websites we find necessary. In a time where digital storytelling is vital to our generation, are there real benefits to blocking internet platforms?

The administration should focus on teaching students media literacy instead of taking the rights away from them.

Technology is viewed as distracting and uninformative. But, today’s multimedia offerings provide resources for a large part of a student’s life. Most assignments are turned in online, using websites such as Google Classroom and TurnItIn.com. By blocking websites, it limits a student’s ability to go into depth in their research and view educational videos. Students may also use social media to promote a school gathering such as club meetings or sporting events. These activities show school spirit and allow students to get involved in the community.

As news teams begin to use online platforms, technology continues to become the go-to way to check the news. Cell phones even come with a variety of news apps that can send out notifications when articles publish. The popular app Snapchat, a PISD-blocked app, offers subscriptions to a variety of online magazines that update students on current events and entertainment.

The general idea to keep students off of non-educational technology platforms is understandable, however students will still find other ways to sneak around it anyway. Cellular data or virtual private networks still can allow some users to browse restricted websites and apps.

Blocking certain apps and websites is not an effective way to keep students on task, and it hinders them from getting the research they need. Creating barriers to information can essentially limit students from getting a well-rounded education. Blocking apps can stop individuals from using their creativity in the classroom.

Kennedy Wyles, Reporter, Photographer, News Team Leader

Kennedy Wyles was born in Annapolis, Maryland and currently lives in Prosper, Texas where she resides with her mom and dad, while her older brother attends...