Club spotlight –
Catholic Student Association
continues 2nd year at high school

Haley Medeiros

Catholic Student Association members Emily Witmeyer, Carmen Mijares, Karolina Rubio-Terrazas, Sofi Mijares, Sophia Boughton and Madison Medeiros play “Spoons” at their last meeting Thursday, Nov. 8. The CSA meets the second and last Thursday of every month. “It’s a really good time to just bond with everyone,” senior Emily Witmeyer said. “I love it. It feels like home there.”

Haley Medeiros, Reporter

The Catholic Student Association continues to pray, eat and laugh in its second year at the high school. The club’s next meeting is Thursday, Nov. 29 after school. 

Junior and club president Carmen Mijares started the club last year to bring students together. The CSA is open to students of all religions.

“I feel like there are a lot of Catholic people at Prosper High School that aren’t involved in a lot of associations,” Mijares said. “I felt like this was going to be a really good way to get them involved, not only in their school but in their faith.”

The club meets after school on the second and last Thursday of every month in room 1225.

“We usually start with an icebreaker,” Mijares said. “Then we talk about the topic of the day and have a certain activity related to the topic.”

Club sponsor and English teacher Cindy Trevino said the club is a great way for students to meet new people.

“They are open and welcoming to everyone,” Trevino said. “We try to have something fun and have something educational.”

The Catholic Student Association existed at other area schools before the Prosper CSA started.

“It’s a really good time to just bond with everyone,” senior Emily Witmeyer said. “I love it. It feels like home there.”

Each meeting consists of opening and closing prayers with snacks provided. 

“I think that schools are a place where a lot of kids are either distressed, feel out of place or feel like they don’t have anywhere to go,” Trevino said. “I want to be that place where they can come.”

There are no fees required to join the club.

“Don’t be afraid of sharing your faith and talking about your faith,” Mijares said. “That’s something really important in life.”