Students find damage in wake of storm

Cold front sweeps through North Texas
After waking up, freshman Kaden Wortham finds damage to his family's backyard. A large storm swept through North Texas yesterday morning. "We (my family) kind of all were just walking around doing our morning routines, and we spotted one of our umbrellas was tipped over," freshman Kaden Wortham said. "Behind it, our tables and lots of our outdoor furniture were knocked over."
After waking up, freshman Kaden Wortham finds damage to his family’s backyard. A large storm swept through North Texas yesterday morning. “We (my family) kind of all were just walking around doing our morning routines, and we spotted one of our umbrellas was tipped over,” freshman Kaden Wortham said. “Behind it, our tables and lots of our outdoor furniture were knocked over.”
Photo courtesy of Kaden Wortham

After an unexpected storm hit North Texas yesterday morning, students have found damage to their homes, cars and other property.

This thunder storm was caused by a cold front coming in from the north. It brought lightning, strong winds and golfball–sized hail. Although Hurricane Helene is moving toward inland US, this storm was not caused by that. The hurricane will stay east of Texas.

“It was around 2:30 in the morning, and I was just listening to the rain because I really like rain sounds,” senior Olivia Merrill said. “I was looking at my laptop to check the time, and I heard a huge crack of thunder. It was crazy loud.”

Students found property damage to cars and homes in the morning.

“We (my family) kind of all were just walking around doing our morning routines, and we spotted one of our umbrellas was tipped over,” freshman Kaden Wortham said. “Behind it, our tables and lots of our outdoor furniture were knocked over.”

The change in temperature and humidity created issues for students in some activities.

“Storms are really tough for choir students,” choir director Crystal Chamberlain said. “Sudden shifts in weather can upset students’ allergies and even make them pretty sick. This is obviously a problem for us because it can cause students to lose their voices, which we need to sing. Luckily, our bodies usually get used to the weather pretty quickly, and voices return to normal.”

Wortham said the size of the storm surprised him because he didn’t see any signs of it the previous day.

“I was shocked because I was still waking up and didn’t really realize how strong the winds and hail was,” Wortham said. “Then, in the morning, I saw it all.”

For the rest of the week, the weather will return to being sunny as usual with highs in the 80s and low 90s and lows in the high 50s and 60s.

$759
$2000