Preview: Girls basketball prepares to tip-off against Allen

Basketball looks ahead to district match-up
Arms+extended%2C+junior+Kendall+Mosley+enters+the+game+as+her+name+is+announced.+Earlier+this+season%2C+Mosley+made+the+All-Tournament+team+at+the+2023+Mansfield+Spring+Creek+Barbecue+Invitational+Tournament.+Mosley+plays+as+a+shooting+guard+and+point+guard.+
Landon Byrom
Arms extended, junior Kendall Mosley enters the game as her name is announced. Earlier this season, Mosley made the All-Tournament team at the 2023 Mansfield Spring Creek Barbecue Invitational Tournament. Mosley plays as a shooting guard and point guard.

As the Lady Eagles hit the mid-season mark, the girls basketball team will face off against Allen next for a close district match-up. The 20-6 Eagles will compete against Allen’s 20-5 team tonight, Jan. 9. at 6 p.m. at Prosper High School.

This will be the first time Prosper and Allen match up in girls basketball and they will meet again on Feb. 2. at Allen High School.

Prosper currently ranks fourth in district as they are 3-2 in district play, while Allen ranks first as they are 5-0 in district play. In the bigger picture, Prosper girls basketball ranks #50 in Texas according to MaxPreps and Allen ranks #25 in Texas.

Prosper is led by head coach Trey Rachal, and assistant coach Michael Squires. Rachal has been coaching for 19 years and has been a head coach at Prosper for the last 10 years, winning over 200 games. Squiers has been Rachal’s assistant for the last 10 years as well.

The Lady Eagles have won seven of their last 1o games and have shown dominance since their first game where they defeated Centennial High School 85-21. Allen is currently on a two game winning streak, and both teams of Eagles will look to use their momentum to compete for district.

The remainder of Prosper’s season will be against district opponents, and including tonight the team will have five more home games of the regular season.

Last year, Prosper girls basketball ended the season 15-17 and sixth in district out of eight teams, where they are now fourth proving there is significant improvement since the 2022-23 season. Also in the 2022-23 season, Prosper fell short to Allen in both of their match-ups, first losing 58-40, then 65-29.

The Lady Eagles are 4-1 when playing at home, so they will use tonight’s home court advantage as they aim to come out on top. Entering game 27 out of a 35 game season, playoffs are just around the corner driving both teams to compete until the last buzzer tonight.