Analysis/Preview: Volleyball team earns its way into state tournament

Prosper continues winning streak through playoffs
Eyes on one another, Prosper volleyball huddles before a home game. Prosper finished the regular season with a 34-9 record. They are led by coach Ashlee McCormick. The team will compete in the first round of the state championship tournament on Friday Nov. 17 at 5 p.m. at the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland. With a win, the team will advance to the championship on Saturday, Nov. 18, at 5 p.m. in the same location.
Riley McConnell

Digging their way through the road to the 2023 UIL Texas Volleyball playoffs, Prosper volleyball defeated Flower Mound 3-0 to ‘punch their ticket’ to the championship. The Lady Eagles are returning to state for the first time since 2017 and are qualifying for the first time in the 6A region.

Finishing the regular season with a 34-9 record, Prosper has swept four of their five playoff opponents so far. The Lady Eagles will face Grand Oaks on Friday Nov. 17, at 5 p.m. to begin the state tournament. With a win, they will advance to the championship on Saturday, Nov. 18, where they would play the winner of Harlan vs. Cinco Ranch. The state tournament will be at the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland. The championship game will be Saturday, Nov. 18, at 5 p.m. in the same location.

Head coach Ashlee McCormick and senior Ayden Ames will lead the team toward victory this weekend. This is McCormicks’ first year coaching at Prosper, and according to Max Preps, PHS volleyball is ranked sixth in Texas high school volleyball with a 38.91 rating, only trailing by 1.92 behind No. 1 McKinney Boyd.

Prosper has five seniors this year, four of which are committed to play collegiate volleyball.

University of Texas volleyball commit, Ames also played for the USAV U19 National Team this year and has put up incredible stats the entire season. Ames averages 4.7 kills, 4 digs and 1.3 blocks a set and in the teams’ victory over Martin, Ames reached 1,500 career kills.

More seniors carrying their skills to the next level include Taylor Gardner, committed to play beach volleyball at Houston Christian University, Reese Renfrow, committed to play at Lewis University, and Sydney Thornton, committed to play at Angelo State University.

In Prosper’s Regional Quarterfinals win over Plano East, Renfrow laid down 14 kills, and Thornton recorded five blocks. Additionally, in Prosper’s second-round win over Martin, Ames earned 19 kills and 10 blocks, and junior Sophie Bridges totaled 16 digs.

Recording several impressive stat lines, triple doubles, combining assists, digs, kills, and blocks, Prosper volleyball has proven they deserve to be up for a state championship. In the 2017-2018 5A Volleyball State tournament Prosper defeated Leander Rouse, and this Friday the team will strive to renew that title.

“Headed into state this week, I’m honestly just excited to create memories,” sophomore Jayla Jackson said. “I’m excited to make memories with this group of people that will genuinely last a lifetime.”