Football continues winning season
with 35-7 homecoming win over McKinney

Senior quarterback Keegan Shoemaker, No. 11, drops back to pass in a game against the McKinney Lions on Sept. 20. Shoemaker finished Thursday with 156 yards and three passing touchdowns. His performance helped the Eagles to a 35-7 homecoming game win against the Lions.

Sydney Washburn

Sydney Washburn

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Columnist

Prosper prevailed over the McKinney Lions Thursday night 35-7 to earn their fourth straight win to start the season. It was yet another long, rainy night for the Eagles as the matchup was delayed over an hour just a few minutes after kickoff. This was after the game was moved from Friday night to Thursday earlier in the week to avoid potential severe weather.

Similar to Week 2  against Keller Timber Creek, Prosper took control of most of the game after the weather delay. However, McKinney did strike first with a 12-yard pass touchdown to climb to the early 7-0 lead. These would be the only points the Lions would score the entire night, as Prosper scored 35 unanswered points the rest of the way.

Even though the offense committed 2 turnovers, they outnumbered the Lions’ offensive attack in first downs (24-9) and total yards (362-100).

Seniors Joestein Clarke, Wayne Anderson, and Devin Haskins all had one receiving touchdown apiece. Anderson also had another monster game on the ground, including 165 yards and two touchdowns, with the offensive line creating holes and providing protection for quarterback Keegan Shoemaker all night long.

Senior running back Wayne Anderson, No. 7,  looks back toward the sidelines in a game against the McKinney Lions on Sept. 20. Anderson put up 165 yards rushing to go along with three total touchdowns Thursday. According to sports editor and columnist Zach Markey, Anderson’s rushing game has been a key factor for wins all season long and helped the Eagles reach another 35-7 victory against McKinney.

After a quick start, the McKinney offense seemed to have no answer for the Prosper defensive unit. The Eagles were forcing negative yardage play after play in another stellar performance. All aspects of the defense were clicking, but the front seven played especially well by limiting the Lions to just 36 yards on the ground.

Another win makes it a remarkable 4-0 start to the season for Proser. They have dominated in every game thus far, and it was an important step for them to gain a win in their first district game in 6A, even if it was against a McKinney squad, which saw their record drop to a dismal 0-4 after Thursday.

The varsity football team will face a much larger task this upcoming week on the road against Plano East, which also holds a  4-0 record. This will be a great indicator as to what we can see from the Eagles for the rest of the district season.

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer

Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports throughout his life, and loves to write and report information to the Prosper community. His favorite sports are Football, Basketball, and Baseball, but looks to cover almost every sport on campus.