Preview: Baseball looks to compete in Five-Tool tournament

Body extending down the mound, junior Brady Taylor throws a pitch. The first district game will be away on Mar. 15 at 7:30 against Guyer. The team won their last game against Southlake, 5-4.

The Eagles will face off against six teams from the Dallas Fort Worth area, participating in the “Inaugural Texas Five Tool High School Festival” tournament. All varsity games will take place at home on the Prosper High School baseball field.

On Thursday, March 2, the team will compete against Edmond Santa Fe at 12 p.m., and Deer Creek at 3:30 p.m. The Eagles will take on Magnolia Heights at 3 p.m. and El Paso Americas at 5 p.m., March 3. Games on March 4 will be against Frenship at 10 a.m. and Bixby at 1 p.m.

Texas Five Tool Baseball

The tournament, hosted by Five Tool Baseball, consists of 14 registered high school teams that play head-to-head over the course of three days.

Based in Keller, Texas, the company ‘(specializes) in baseball showcases, tournaments, leagues, and media coverage of high school and collegiate ball players.’ The company has grown and expanded to other states, highlighting the best athletes across the nation.

Preparing for the district season, tournaments, such as the ones that Five Tool hosts, can play a crucial role to a successful season for these teams. Those participating are Americas, Bixby, Conway, Deer Creek, Edmond Santa Fe, Flower Mound Marcus, Frenship, Magnolia Heights, Mater Dei, Prosper, Rock Hill, Rockwall, Rockwall Heath and Southlake Carroll. Every team travels for their respective games, showcasing both strengths and weaknesses, looking to improve and sharpen their skills for future games.

2023 Season So Far

Most recently, the Eagles received runner-up honors as the “GameGrade 6A Team of the Week,” following their 5-4 win against Southlake Carroll.

The neutral tournament game against Southlake took place Saturday, Feb. 25 at 5:30 p.m. on the Prosper High School baseball field. The intense, action-filled game ended in another Eagle win, bringing their record to 6-0, and giving the Dragons their fourth loss of the pre-season.

Their first loss came after they faced off against Highland Park, the same team that brought Prosper’s third win of the season.

The Eagles will go into this tournament with a 47 range factor and 17 running average, according to MaxPreps. The Southlake Dragons will go in with a 27 range factor and 20 running average.

2022 Season Rewind

The Eagles had a very successful 2022 season, making it to the third round of playoffs, taking their final seasonal loss to Coppell High School, 3-2. They wrapped up their season with a 21-11 overall record.

Ending districts in first place for district 5, sitting above Allen High School, the team had a successful 6-2 record, with a .750 winning percentage.