Football prepares for McKinney, following Friday’s 29-24 win

Prosper defeats Allen for 2nd consecutive year

Click the photo above to start a slideshow with information about the varsity football game Friday, Oct. 28 against the Allen Eagles that resulted in a 29-24 win.

Who: Prosper Eagle Varsity Football team – Led by head coach Brandon Schmidt

What: District football game against Allen High School

When: Friday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m.

Where: Children’s Health Stadium at Prosper ISD

What’s next: The Eagles will play McKinney Thursday, Nov. 3. The game will take place at Children’s Health Stadium at 7:00 p.m.

Eagles focus on Thursday matchup, future prospects

After taking a 29-24 win against the Allen Eagles, Prosper now looks to play McKinney High School for their final district game of the regular season. Before the game begins, the school will recognize seniors, celebrating the final home game of their high school careers.

Prior to the start of the season, the Eagles took part in pre-season games, resulting in a successful streak of 3-0. The No. 6 Denton Guyer Wildcats, who defeated the Eagles 23-6 in the first district game, broke the streak. After the loss, Prosper sharpened their skills in both offense and defense, and the Eagles went on to five consecutive wins.

They did a great job keeping everything business as usual, even when we were down. I think because of that we were able to fight back.

— Brandon Schmidt

Led by head coach Marcus Shavers, McKinney remains ranked fourth in the district following their 21-42 loss against Denton Guyer. Prosper now stands in fourth in the 6A Region District 5, with their opponent remaining in sixth. Lined up against Prosper’s record of 8-1, the Lions have a 6-3 record for the season, according to MaxPreps, with two pre-season wins and 4 district wins. The team’s strength is displayed in every part of the team, especially in senior quarterback Keldric Lamar, who accounted for many successful plays last game, including a 58-yard run. Players like junior running back Bryan Jackson and senior Dylan Rhodes provide the team with speed to get downfield.

We were a little slow to start on both sides of the ball. Many plays in the first half defensively and offensively got the momentum going in the right direction.

— Bill Robertson

While coaches noted that the team all worked well together during Friday’s matchup, many individuals stood out and came out of the game with personal successes. Senior Adam Due assisted the team with multiple important plays including 10 tackles and three TFLs (tackles for loss). Due also contributed four quarterback pressures, resulting in one sack and a blocked punt, acting as a key defensive player for the team.

Our coaches had a great game plan, and we had a great week of practice and preparation. We went out there and ‘balled’ and really showed some adversity.

— Adam Due

As a result of his work in the game, Due was nominated as Week 10 Sports Day HS Hero. Sports Day HS also awarded the strong outside linebacker the title of Defensive Player of the Week.

Other key players added to the team’s achievements, including seniors quarterback Harrison Rosar, wide receiver Hunter Summers, and defensive end Dylan Hinshaw, who contributed to the win from both ends of the ball. With the help of their teammates, juniors Prentice Sanders and Luke Johnson added touchdowns to the scoreboard, along with senior Trevor Montanye with a touchdown in the first half of the game.

Displayed on social media, Prosper stands as sixth in 6A football, behind DeSoto High School, whose team is going into its final game of the season with a record of 7-2.

Needless to say, both teams will bring the heat, providing an action-packed game for the schools.

Click to photos below to check out similar articles and slideshows.