Theatre Summer Camp canceled

Courtesy of Carynne Sutton

Neha Madhira, Editor-in-Chief

After four consecutive years of the high school hosting its Theatre Summer Camp, it has been canceled. The school page said it was because of unforeseen circumstances and in an email sent by the new theatre director July 6, it was also so the school could update its facilities to accommodate the needs of all the Fine Arts. 

The camp would have been Monday through Friday where 2nd-8th graders play theatre games, learn improv techniques and are taught a 10-minute play by high schoolers to perform at the end of the week.

“This camp was a great opportunity for the community to come together and have some fun, while also teaching and growing the minds of younger students,” senior Carynne Sutton said. “We have been planning this camp since we advanced to the UIL State competition last April and was always a great way to prepare and train incoming freshmen for what was to come.”

Sophomore Eileah Hale attended the camp the summer before her freshman year and said she hoped it could also be a place where students could get to know the new theatre teachers more. The new theatre director Vicki Kirkley introduced herself in the email she sent. 

“The skills I learned at the camp helped me fit into the growing department and eventually earn a place in our One-Act play, which we took to UIL State last year,” Hale said. “I know myself and many other students are confused to why it’s being canceled when things like band camp and football pre-season are still going on. Also, because of the change in department heads this year, summer camp could be a better chance to meet the replacements.”

Class of 2018 graduates such as Allyson Dymond and Price Gerritsen started planning the camp at the start of their senior year and would have directed the plays there.

“I’ve been participating in the Prosper High School Theatre Camp since its first year,” Dymond said. “I’ve looked forward to being a leader for the underclassmen. I’m disappointed to not be teaching the children’s camp this year. Not only have I grown immensely from teaching the kids, but the community has always loved it as we have kids that return every year.”

Last summer, Gerritsen directed a production for a group of 7th and 8th-grade girls who wanted to audition at the high school level.

“Ever since I transferred here my sophomore year, everyone in theatre had always told me how much of a benefit the program was for kids,” Gerritsen said. “Getting to teach them what I’ve learned over the years I’ve been here and getting to see them utilize that knowledge would have been so awesome to watch.”

Gerritsen also said she’s wanted to direct a summer show since she had found out about the program and picked out her script last November. Kirkley wrote in the email that theatre students could discuss having a student director series during the year, but according to Gerritsen, only one out of the five student directors can attend as the rest will be in college.

“I benefited from the program, having access to a free space where I could interact with my peers and build the bonds you can’t find anywhere else,” Gerritsen said. “Knowing that positive environment isn’t going to be here anymore, is really sad for me. The program has always been a place where we can come together, learn, grow and feed off of each other’s creative individuals. It’s been a place where you can fight for the recognition you think you deserve. If you want to have the lead in a play, you come to the camp, earn it and prove this is where you need to be.”