Prosper tennis to host summer camps

Last years participants of Coach Bowling’s tennis camp.

Haley Stack, Assistant Editor

Every year, new kids try out for tennis and for the past two years they have had the chance to get ahead by participating in summer camps.

“We have a great time out on the courts during camp,” head tennis coach Mandy Bowling said. “I encourage anyone, regardless if you have played or not, to come on out and try it. It’s a great opportunity to be outside, learn something new or practice something you already know.”

The camps are held by the high school head coach for students in elementary school up until they are in their freshman year.

“I love being able to put on a summer camp for kids,” Bowling said. “This is my second year in Prosper and my second time to do this camp here. It gives me an opportunity to work with children I haven’t met before and also allows me to continue working with ones I have.”

The camp was started by Bowling to get kids interested in tennis even if they have never played before.

“If you have never picked up a racquet before, I encourage kids to come out and give it a try,” Bowling said. “Camp isn’t about being the best and winning, it’s about learning something new, meeting new people, and having fun.”

Although the camps are not directly correlated with JV/Varsity tryouts happening over this summer, Bowling still encourages all players to sign up.

“It’s always a great way to see the incoming 9th graders who are looking to tryout come to camp,” Bowling said. “I am able to meet them if I haven’t already and with them being at camp it shows that they are excited and want to be there.”

This past school year the tennis team did lose a coach, but at camp students will be able to become accustomed with the new assistant coach.

“The new Prosper tennis assistant coach will be helping run the tennis camp this summer,” Bowling said. “I am very excited about introducing the new coach to the kids and the community. It is going to be a great fit and I can’t wait to get going with it.”

The camps will run from Jun. 4-7 from 8 a.m to 10 a.m for 3rd – 6th graders and from 10:30 a.m to 12:30 a.m for 7th – 9th graders. The camp cost $75 per camper, or $60 if their parent is an employee, which includes a t-shirt. Students are allowed to sign up all the way through to the first day of camp.

“I am absolutely not going to turn anyone away,” Bowling said. “They can always come to camp Monday and complete a registration form with me.”