News Brief: Community members to protest U.S. 380 proposal

Alyssa Clark

The sun sets at 6:23 p.m. on U.S. 380. Community members will hold a protest Thursday, March 31 about the proposed road plans. “As concerned Prosper residents, we must act now to submit our strong opposition to all Segment B considerations,” the protest poster said. “If Option B is ultimately selected by TxDOT, this would result in a freeway the size and scope of U.S. 75/Central in our backyard and a materially negative impact to the town we call home.”

Amanda Hare, Executive Editor-in-Chief

On U.S. 380, the sun sets on the road. TxDOT proposed various plans for the widening of the road. The plan includes Segments A through E. (Morgan Reese)

After the Texas Department of Transportation held a public meeting Tuesday, March 22, to show the proposed plans for the U.S. 380 road widening, community members will hold a protest at Cockrell Elementary at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 31.

The plan highlights Segments A through E with four “alternative” plans featuring different segments. The segments can be viewed here.

Community members will protest Segment B. Segment B would run from Coit Road to CR 161/Ridge Road. It will run directly through a residential area and have a “detrimental effect” on ManeGait Therapeutic Horsmanship, a non-profit facility providing equine therapy to those with disabilities. It’s also close to existing and future schools including the future third high school.

TxDOT predicts that in 2050 it will take two hours to travel from McKinney to Prosper if no changes are made.

“As concerned Prosper residents, we must act now to submit our strong opposition to all Segment B considerations,” the protest poster said. “If Option B is ultimately selected by TxDOT, this would result in a freeway the size and scope of U.S. 75/Central in our backyard and a materially negative impact to the town we call home.”

The protest will occur in Cockrell’s cafeteria, and the poster said that town and district representatives will speak.

To view the public meeting notice from last Tuesday’s meeting, click here. To view the meeting’s presentation with more in-depth information, click here.

A map provided by TxDOT shows the proposed segments for U.S. 380. Community members will protest Segment B. It would run from Coit Road to CR 161/Ridge Road.
A group of parents posted this poster on social media for the protest. The protest will occur at 7 p.m. It will be in the Cockrell Elementary School Cafeteria.