What to expect at Relay for Life

Neha Madhira, Assistant Editor

Relay for Life is on Friday, April 27 from 6 p.m. to midnight. It is a six-hour event to celebrate those who have fought or are still fighting cancer and honor those who have lost the battle.

“We have events throughout the whole night raising money for the American Cancer Society so all of this is for them,” senior and Student Council member Carlee Tinsley said. “In turn, with all of the activities and participation, it would also make a really fun event for the community as well.”

The Student Council has set their goal at $40,000 this year and had raised money in the past by letting students wear Nike shorts for $1 and t-shirts, but the biggest event that helped was Cash for Cancer.

“I think we kind of expected a little less participation going into it already so we kind of planned for how to make it up with things like sponsorships,” Tinsley said. “In the past, we actually haven’t had smaller fundraising opportunities and the volleyball tournaments were also another donation so this year, we’re just making up for it.”

Said that this was also up to the team. The Relay for Life event is comprised of a bunch of teams coming together which are normally a lot of school organizations and each one will have their own fundraiser based on how they want to raise money.

“We’ve already started planning and when it comes to our class, we have different committees for each aspect of Relay,” said. “We have the team committee, the laps committee which will plan the different ones such as the survivor lap or some of the themed laps. We also have a food committee. Basically, every category that goes into Relay has their own group of people that plan it.”

Also said that the Student Council is planning on keeping it the same as the Relay for Life events in the past years and are also hoping that the weather can stay out of it as the rain caused the event to be moved from the track into the arena last year.

“It should be like most of the other Relays so far,” Tinsley said. “We’ll have games and activities. We are hoping we can have live music and some of the blow-up houses and stuff we’ve had in the past.”

Students that are not a part of Student Council or Student Leadership can still participate by creating or joining a team.

“They can join a team so if they are involved in a student organization and even if they aren’t, they can honestly be anything you want them to,” Tinsley said. “If you have a family group that wants to honor someone and create a team then you can just do that and come and walk at Relay that evening to honor someone. If you have a friend group that wants to have a team together and set up a small booth, you could do that as well. You can honestly just come and enjoy the event, play the games and donate money when you’re there.”