Precious perspective: Suicide prevention walk reminder for student who attempted

Eagle Nation News

Neha Madhira, Assistant Editor

*Student’s name has been changed to keep her privacy*

The “Out of the Darkness” walk took place last Saturday at Windsong Ranch for suicide awareness where community members walked for loved ones that had taken their lives. Last year, student Rose Ann tried to commit and failed.

“I’ve been battling depression for a few years now but last year was the worst of everything,” Ann said. “I tried to commit last year after I felt like I couldn’t handle anything anymore. I’d just been broken up with, lost my best friend the week after, and felt my whole family was angry at me.”

Ann ended up talking to her parents and not committing when she thought of the positives in her future.

“What stopped me was remembering everything I had going for me,” she said. “The school year was almost over, my grades were good and I knew that I would be hurting a lot of people. I didn’t want to do that. I ended up telling my parents about how I was feeling and was able to get help as well go on antidepressants.”

Fast forward to now, Ann said she has grown and come a long way.

“The place I’m in now is honestly amazing compared to last year,” Ann said. “I know there are people who are here for me and that I’ll never truly be alone. I still have bad days every now and then, but I always end up okay because there are always people who are here for me and that I’ll never truly be alone.”

On the idea of suicide prevention and awareness, Ann thinks it’s extremely important to help the people that are going through depression realize they’re not alone.

“It’s important that people know that there are better alternatives than suicide,” Ann said. “The more educated people are about these things, the more they’ll learn about how to cope with them.”

Although Ann wanted to go the walk, she did not have the chance but hopes there will be more in the community.

“I would definitely go to a walk if there were any more,” Ann said. “In the end, I want everyone to know that they are never alone and things will always better, no matter what the situation is.”

Neha Madhira, Assistant Editor

I am the Assistant Editor of Eagle Nation Online. I’m a junior who loves photography, tennis, nature and helping others. I started taking journalism last year and my drive to compete in UIL as well as the fact that I never run out of questions has led me to find my real passion for the newspaper.