Paws for a cause

Paws for a cause

Isabella Abraham, Copy Editor

Interact Club is collecting supplies to donate to the local SPCA for pets affected by Hurricane Harvey. Students can bring donations to their classroom teachers or Mr. McCall in room 2209.

The McKinney SPCA has requested cat and dog toys, pet food, treats, blankets, laundry detergent, bleach and hand sanitizer.

“We will be passing out bags to various classroom teachers across the building,” Rodney McCall, Interact faculty sponsor, said. “We will then take the items we collect to the SPCA and they will distribute it to survivors that are still up here in Dallas and whatever’s leftover will be distributed to the various areas Harvey ravaged.”

Nurse Marino, former faculty sponsor, first suggested conducting a charity for Hurricane Harvey.

“Nurse Marino and I have always talked over the years and she’s pitched some ideas we have taken and run with,” McCall said. “this idea came from her and it was a fantastic thing in my opinion. The kids were very excited to be a part of it.”

Interact president Chloe Connelly enthusiastically led the effort.

“I really wanted to work with animals and last year we didn’t have an opportunity to,” Connelly said. “When I became president this year I really wanted to do that and Hurricane Harvey gave us a good opportunity to reach out to them.”

Inspired by the devastation shown on television, the club quickly put the idea into motion.

“We were all so moved by what we were seeing,” McCall said. “Given the idea that so many folks were trying to help the survivors, the men, women and children that were affected, many times we forget that the family pets are also affected by this.”

With many organizations focused on providing aid for the people, they often neglect animals.

“The animals have needs too,” Connelly said. “When we don’t focus on the community as a whole, then one part definitely gets left out.”

The Interact Club aims to help animals from the Houston area, as well those in Collin County.

“A lot of the animals aren’t just in Houston-they are getting pushed up [to Collin County],” Connelly said. “Some of the animals were running away towards shelter or they were taken to Dallas by the shelters because they can’t be taken care of in Houston.”

Interact members always work with community service in mind, doing projects that benefit the community.

“One of the mottos that I like to live by is to think globally but act locally,” McCall said. “We here have always had terrific students who are wanting and willing to help others who are in need and I could not think of a group who need assistance more than all of those who were affected by Hurricane Harvey.”