O’Connell heads to 3rd appearance in state cross country meet

Caroline Wilburn, Sports Editor

Here’s a note from head cross country coach Jennifer Gegogeine:

“The Prosper Cross Country Team competed in Lubbock at the UIL Region I Cross Country Championship. The Varsity Girls Team competed against 16 teams (that represent 8 other districts) and finished 4th overall. This year in order to advance to Regionals teams must finish top 2 in their district. Then must finish top 3 in the Region Meet to advance to State. In a typical year (non-Covid), teams take the top 3 from district and top 4th place team finishes from Region to State.

Aubrey O’Connell finished 2nd overall out of 136 runners and earned a trip to Round Rock to compete at the UIL State XC Championship on 11/24. Kate Parsons finished 34th, Caitlyn Kennedy 36th, Ava Kirkendall 37th, Emily Kern 44th.  Other key runners were Carissa Reyes, Abishai Aryee, Mady Clements, Rylee Gleich and Emily Erb.

Jack Johnston and Dawson Svoboda represented the Eagles at the Region Meet. Jack Johnston finished 23rd overall out of 135 runners. Just missing a trip to state by 3 runners. Dawson held strong through the majority of the race, but got kicked in the shin and was unable to finish the race.

Please congratulate these student athletes on an amazing job at Regionals and congratulate Aubrey O’Connell as she will compete at the UIL Cross Country State Championship  in two weeks.”