Kids Prosper Kids to help Title 1 school through clothes drive

Kids Prosper Kids

To give back to the community, Kids Prosper Kids is holding a clothing drive on Aug. 22 and 29. The non-profit organization started three years ago. They hold local volunteer events while building a trade school in Ghana, Africa. “My favorite part of KPK is that I can be a leader and that they allow us to take charge of events,” senior Anna Kathleen Johnson, KPK president at Prosper High, said. “I also love that I get to help people and see the results of my work paying off.”

Alyssa Clark, Social Media Director

To donate clothes to children in need and allow Prosper students to give back, Kids Prosper Kids (KPK) will hold a clothes drive for a Title 1 middle school with two upcoming clothes drop-off dates: Aug. 22 and 29. The drive will last all day on both dates, and the drop off location is 1661 Summer Star Lane.

This drive will be held to donate clothes for students in fifth to eighth grade to help out their back-to-school season during the pandemic. Kids Prosper Kids has officers in both Rock Hill and Prosper to help students in the organization have a direct line of communication to a leader.

Senior Anna Kathleen Johnson is the KPK president at Prosper High, and she said she’s looking forward to continuing with helping the community.

“KPK has changed Prosper for the better by allowing kids to lead and make a change,” Johnson said. “It also helps the community with service events such as the food and clothes drives.”

Kids Prosper Kids is a non-profit organization. It started here three years ago when co-founder Kimberli Brackett taught her fifth-grade math class about her trips to Ghana, Africa, which has been taking place for over a decade now. KPK does community and volunteer work around Prosper, while currently preparing to build a trade school in Ghana.

Rock Hill High School president and junior Dymond Mitchell said KPK has helped her to touch people’s lives globally.

“After being in it for a couple years now, I think it’s helped me allow others to venture out the bubble we’re in,” Mitchell said. “It’s helped Prosper become more global in their efforts.”

KPK has always looked for more opportunities to help out their community and Rock Hill High School vice president and junior Avin Lo said she agrees that the clothes drive is a great way to do so.

“The clothes drive is an incredible way to give old or new clothes to people in need,” Lo said. “Many people have recently been cleaning our their closets for the new school year, so the clothes drive would be a great opportunity to give to those who need it.”

For students interested in becoming a member, the student application can be found here.

“My favorite part of KPK is that I can be a leader and that they allow us to take charge of events,” Johnson said. “I also love that I get to help people and see the results of my work paying off.”