Wrestlers work to pin down state championship

Emily Reish

Sophomore Taylor Martinez works to improve her wrestling moves in preparation for the state tournament. She placed first at the regional competition at Allen high school last week. Martinez will go on to compete at the state championship tournament in the 138 weight class.

Wrestling will compete at the 6A State Championship in the Cypress Fairbanks complex this evening, Feb. 21.

At the region competition, nine wrestlers qualified for state. The girls placed in the top eight and the boys placed third.

“We’ve done a lot of practicing and extra work outside of practice,” Juliana Baugher said. “I felt pretty good going into region. I was confident.”

Baugher placed second in her weight class of 128, and sophomore Taylor Martinez was the champion of the 138 weight class.

“I was very proud of how they competed at region,” coach Sion King said. “They put together their best wrestling yet at the regional tournament.”

Senior Rylan Bonds placed second in the 220-weight class, and John Richardson placed second as well in the 138 competition.

“They practice so much that they are together for several hours a day,” manager Christi Norris said. “As the season’s gone on, everyone has become really close.”

The team practices every morning, including working out and lifting weights, and they practice after school, as well.

“It’s our last year that we are one high school,” King said. “They’ve come together because some of the underclassmen are going to be splitting up at different high schools.”

In each weight class, there are 16 final qualifiers that will compete in the state championship.

“The seniors want to finish on a winning note,” King said. “Our goal all year long has been to win the pinnacle tournament, which is state.”

Prosper Wrestling Newsletter