Prosper picks up two big wins against Carrollton teams

Kaleb+Adams+%2822%29+and+Zach+Wrightsil+%2823%29+

Jenae Arias

Kaleb Adams (22) and Zach Wrightsil (23)

Zach Markey, Sports Writer

Boys basketball won two games against Carrollton R.L Turner and Newman Smith Tuesday and last Friday. Prosper won Friday’s game against Newman Smith, 55-37, and Tuesday’s matchup 76-44 in a blowout against R.L Turner. The two wins increase Prosper’s win total to 17, and improves them to 4th place in District 14-5A.

Surprisingly, the two victories came with two quiet nights for sophomore guard Josh Davis. Davis scored only 4 points in the Newman Smith matchup, and 11 in the R.L Turner contest. Although 11 points isn’t a bad night by any stretch, it’s a down night for the sophomore who had been averaging 17.2 points per game in his previous 5 games.

While Josh Davis was having two “off” games by his standards, forward Zach Wrightsil kept up his stellar play by dropping 14 and 18 points in the two contests. Wrightsil and Davis have mainly carried the Eagles this season in preseason, tournament, and district play.

There were a couple of new scoring leaders in the two matchups, as both Kyle Jessen and Kris Wafer had their fair share of fine moments in the two games. Wafer scored 13 against R.L Turner, and Jessen put up 14 in the Newman Smith game. It was really nice for someone other than Josh Davis or Zach Wrightsil to lead the scoring for the Eagles. This truly takes some weight off the shoulders of the stars Davis and Wrightsil.

The two wins against Carrollton R.L Turner and Newman Smith provide as encouragement and a confidence boost headed into the final stretch of the season for Prosper. It was honestly great to see players other than Zach Wrightsil and Josh Davis grace the top of the scoring leaders. These last couple games should be seen as promising for fans, coaches, and the players to see. The boys play a tough road game against McKinney North on Friday and I am confident that Prosper will find a way to return home with a victory.