Blood drive overflows with student donors

Tis the season to give blood. Students participated in the Carter Blood Care drive Monday, Dec. 2. It has been something I have been doing since I got the chance to, senior Lucas Yumul said. Some people rely on the blood donations (to survive). I think it is important to help the community and give back.

Isabella Abraham

Tis the season to give blood. Students participated in the Carter Blood Care drive Monday, Dec. 2. “It has been something I have been doing since I got the chance to,” senior Lucas Yumul said. “Some people rely on the blood donations (to survive). I think it is important to help the community and give back.”

Isabella Abraham, Feature/Copy Editor

A quick pricking sensation. Around 20 minutes of class time. This is all it costs to donate blood – and potentially save lives.

HOSA members and CNA students in coordination with Carter Blood Care organized the blood drive on Monday, Dec. 2, in the gym.

“Some of the HOSA members worked the blood drive booth and assisted students in signing up for the blood drive,” member David Tran said. “Many of the CNA students who helped with the organization of the blood drive were also HOSA members.”

Teachers gave students hall passes to exit their class and head down to Gym 2 during their assigned time slot. Upon entering the gym, students signed in and went through a multi-step process to confirm their health and preparation to give blood.

“We answer a series of questions to ensure that we are in fact able to give blood,” Tran said. “Following that, we meet with one of the physicians that work the blood drive to take vital signs and check our blood. We are able to choose whether we’ll be donating platelets, plasma, or just the regular option of blood.”

Resources provided for donors included snacks and drinks, such as Oreos, Powerade and water, to ensure the students sustained their bodies enough for the task ahead. While some prospective donors fear fainting or vomiting during the procedure, Tran gives tips to prevent harm.

“Be sure to eat proper meals prior to your donation date,¨ Tran said. ¨During the actual donating of blood, don’t be afraid of the needle. You will be in the capable hands of the Carter Blood drive workers. The donation itself will be over before you know it, and know that you will have done your part in improving the life of someone else.¨

Students over the age of 17 could sign up independently to donate blood at the HOSA-run booths in the foyer, while 16-year-old students needed a parental- permission slip to participate.

“It has been something I have been doing since I got the chance to,” senior Lucas Yumul said. “Some people rely on the blood donations (to survive). I think it is important to help the community and give back.”

Carter Blood Care and HOSA will collaborate again in the spring for another blood drive. Students who donate twice in the same year are eligible for a red cord at graduation.

“I decided to give blood because someday I may need someone to do the same for me,” senior Lauren Rich said. “It was a really rewarding experience, and I plan to do it again in the spring.”

Only one pint of blood can save up to three lives, and, according to students, knowing that Carter Blood Care gives the blood back to the local community makes the process more heartfelt and meaningful. HOSA members encourage students and staff alike to consider donating blood at the spring drive and at any local blood drive event.

“Donating blood is a small sacrifice that most everyone can make,” Tran said. “Once the blood has been transported to hospitals, it can then be used to help those who are in need of it. You can take pride that your contribution has positively impacted the life of another human being.”

Health Science course saves lives