Star tennis players raise racket(s) on court

Jett+Anderson+prepares+to+hit+a+shot+from+player+Josh+Stephen.+I+think+the+competition+is+one+of+the+most+fun+parts+about+being+on+the+team+and+just+representing+your+school%2C%E2%80%9D+Anderson+said.+The+tennis+team+came+out+with+a+record+of+4-3+this+season.+

Brian Brock

Jett Anderson prepares to hit a shot from player Josh Stephen. “I think the competition is one of the most fun parts about being on the team and just representing your school,” Anderson said. The tennis team came out with a record of 4-3 this season.

Caroline Wilburn, Reporter

Junior Jett Anderson and sophomore Madi Hise are not strangers to the amount of work, dedication and grit it takes to become successful in tennis. From getting up at 4 a.m. to staying up until midnight, according to teammates and coaches, these players have earned their spots on the varsity tennis team.

Brian Brock
Madi Hise serves the ball to an  Allen opponent. Hise got the only winning match of the night against Allen. “I think we had a really good season,” Hise said. “We did a lot better than we have in the past years, and I think this is a really good learning experience to bring us into our spring season.”

“I get up before school, and then I go after school, and I just don’t have a lot of time to do other things,” Hise said. “It’s just definitely made me more disciplined in that sense because I have to choose what to do with my time wisely.”

Coming off a successful run last year, in which they both made it to the quarterfinals of districts in the new 6A division, the two players set their sights on an even better outcome this season. 

“I think we had a really good season,” Hise said. “We did a lot better than we have in the past years, and I think this is a really good learning experience to bring us into our spring season.”

From putting in two or more hours at school practice every day, to up to two matches a week, Anderson and Hise have been working their hardest. Hise is currently playing No.1 girls doubles and singles.

“Tennis is a major part of my life, and it always has been,” Hise said. “It’s the majority of what I do every day. It’s definitely made me more disciplined with my time. It’s definitely made me understand what hard work really truly is.”

Hise has been playing the No. 1 spot since her freshman year and, according to her coach, has not let her teammates down. 

“She’s so feisty and fierce when she steps on the court,” head coach Mandy Weaver said. “She always makes sure that when she steps off the court that she knows that she did her best and that she gave it all.”

Anderson currently plays the No.1 boys doubles and singles spot. He has been playing tennis since he was 14. And, even though he said he was late to the game, he quickly showed his will to win and his persistent spirit. 

“Jett is probably one of the most competitive kids I have ever coached,” Weaver said. “He wants to win more than I can express. He’s a very hard worker. He wants it, and he’s really been great about stepping out of his comfort zone with his mental game and overcoming a lot. That makes him such a better player. I think he’s on the rise. I don’t even think he’s hit his peak yet.”

Although he has set his sight farther than the high school level, he said he still recognizes the importance of his team and teammates. 

“I think it’s important to build high school relationships on the team because you get to meet new people,” Anderson said. “You can see what other people have in common with you and find similarities with each other – and,  just communicate and build bonds as friends.” 

Both players have been working hard to reach success in the fall season and prepare for the spring. 

Christi Norris
Madi Hise focuses on the ball in her match against Plano Senior. Hise plays the No.1 singles and doubles spot. “Tennis is a major part of my life, and it always has been,” Hise said. “I mean it’s the majority of what I do every day. It’s definitely made me more disciplined with my time.”

“I think showing everyone that even though you’re at the No. 1 spot, it’s still tough,” Weaver said. “You still have to work. You still have to put the time in.  You still have to put that hard work in and overcome things when you win and lose. There’s always something to take away to get better at, and they do a good job of showing it.”