Analysis – Boys golf performs well in district tournament; Punzo advances to regionals

Senior+Marco+Punzo+places+5th+at+district+tournament.+The+boys+golf+team+finished+3rd+overall%2C+though+did+not+move+onto+the+next+round.+Punzo+will+represent+the+team+at+Regionals.+

Senior Marco Punzo places 5th at district tournament. The boys golf team finished 3rd overall, though did not move onto the next round. Punzo will represent the team at Regionals.

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

Boys golf showcased well at the district tournament the week of April 5, placing third overall as a team. Although this wasn’t a good enough result for the entire team to advance to regionals, standout senior Marco Punzo placed fifth individually, which advanced him to the next round.

Advancing to regionals

Punzo shot a 74 in the opening round and improved by two strokes in the final round by shooting a 72 to end with a total score of 146. Punzo is no stranger to competing at the highest level, as he has been on the varsity squad for multiple years.

A solid showing

As for the other contributors, fellow senior Cameron Merryman complemented Punzo’s performance nicely. Merryman shot a better round than Punzo in the first with a score of 73. However, Merryman capped off his tournament with a 78 in the final round, which unfortunately eliminated him from advancing to the regional round. Despite this, the senior helped his team’s overall performance and played a couple of excellent rounds of golf.

Jacob Strong shot a 77 in Round 1 and improved slightly in Round 2 with a 76. Strong finished with a 153 final score which was the third lowest on the team. Santiago Arredondo posted the next lowest score with a 164 final score of his own. Arredondo started his tournament with a 79 in the first round but unfortunately slowed down by shooting an 85 in the second. Connor Kean rounded out the team with a 169 total score. Much like others on the team, Kean started out strong in the first round but regressed in the final round.

The overview

All in all, each golfer contributed to the solid fifth-place finish in one way or another. However, if the team’s overall performance in the second round matched the first, the team might be advancing to regionals instead of being left out. Nevertheless, the team performed to the best of their ability, and it seems as if Prosper golf has wrapped up another solid season.

Zach Markey, Interim Editor-In-Chief and Sports Editor and Writer

Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports...