Analysis – Baseball begins first 6A season with impressive 18-2 record

Senior Jax Alley surveys the Coppell defense and anticipates a mistake to advance another base. The Eagles faced Coppell in a preseason scrimmage Tuesday night, Feb. 5.

Senior Jax Alley surveys the Coppell defense and anticipates a mistake to advance another base. The Eagles faced Coppell in a preseason scrimmage Tuesday night, Feb. 5. "Friday will be the home game against the Wildcats that is sure to add another district victory to the win column," Sports Editor Zach Markey said about Prosper's upcoming home game against Plano East.

Em Reish

Em Reish

Em Reish

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

Baseball has been on fire as of late. They head into Friday’s fourth district game with an 18-2 overall record, while being flawless – 3-0 – in district play thus far. The Eagles couldn’t have asked for a better transition from the 5A division to the highly competitive 6A. The main strength of the team has been the superb pitching that has made allowing more than two runs per game a rare occurrence for Prosper. Seniors Caleb Putnam and Jake Cosner have led the way for an experienced pitching staff full of both starting and bullpen depth.

Tournament season

After dropping the first game of the season to the tough Coppell Cowboys 5-1, Prosper never looked back. The team went on to achieve 11 straight victories while limiting familiar foes like Frisco Wakeland and Highland to one run each. During the winning streak, there was an unusually close matchup with Frisco Heritage, who pushed the game to extra innings, but the boys prevailed 4-3 in eight innings.  Frisco is a school district known to either produce fantastic baseball programs, such a Wakeland, or unarchiving squads like Independence, so a close game against Heritage was somewhat surprising.

No matter the opponent, as long as Prosper is playing their best baseball, there doesn’t seem to be many teams who can compete with them. However, the Eagles’ worst performance likely came against Argyle, snapping their 11-game win streak. The Argyle Eagles shut out Prosper 6-0, which marked the highest run total the Eagles’ had given up all season at the time, and the first time they had been shut out this season. Argyle is always an extremely talented baseball school, and it seems Prosper had an off day. But when facing that kind of talent, an off day won’t grant close to a victory.

Despite the performance, the tournament season can definitely be called a success. The team faced a balance of teams from many different levels to positively prepare them for the grueling district season.

District play

Through three district games, the Prosper Eagles have three victories. The inaugural two district games came against the McKinney Lions last week. Prosper won their Tuesday home game 10-0, and their Friday road game 7-0. The squad couldn’t have asked for a more picture-perfect first week.

This past Tuesday, they traveled to Plano East to face the Wildcats for the first of two times this week. To little surprise, the boys returned home with a 14-3 victory. Friday will be the home game against the Wildcats that is sure to add another district victory to the win column.

In two weeks, it seems the Eagles have had a lucky draw to start the district season. The real tests will come against Allen, McKinney Boyd and Dallas Jesuit. All three programs play consistent ball, and look to challenge Prosper in their first 6A season. Jesuit is set to face the Eagles two times next week.

Fans and fellow 6A teams will find it intriguing to see how they fare Friday night and beyond against Jesuit.

Zach Markey, Interim Editor-In-Chief and Sports Editor and Writer

Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports...