Wrestling teams to compete at 6A state championship

Junior varsity wrestler Josiah Squires hugs his mom, Dalana Squires, goodbye as he leaves for the state championship. The tournament will take place at Cypress, Texas, in the Berry Center. “Last year was my first year here, and it was also our last year at 5A,” coach Sion King said. “Our kids were adjusting to being one of the better teams at 5A and now we jumped another level.”

Malory Haines

Malory Haines

Malory Haines

The girls and boys wrestling teams will compete at the 2019 state championship tournament Feb. 22-23.

Last year, the boys took the 5A title, and now nine state qualifiers will compete for the 6A win.

“You have to place top four to go to state,” sophomore Chase Parham said. “We had five guys make it.”

The tournament takes place at Berry Center, in Cypress, Texas near Northwest Houston. It is where the 2017-2018 UIL State Wrestling Championship was held.

“Last year was my first year here, and it was also our last year at 5A,” coach Sion King said. “Our kids were adjusting to being one of the better teams at 5A, and now we jumped another level.”

King said that he knew that the girls’ team was in a tough region and that he is so proud that they rose to the top.

“We’ve really had to overcome just the idea of knowing we can compete on a higher level,” King said. “Our kids were good enough. It was just a tough tournament.”

Over the course of this week, the team has been focusing on resting their bodies to prepare for state.

“All of us coaches have been telling the kids about controlling what you can,” King said. “Not worrying about winning or losing, but performing the best that you can.”

The NFHS Network will webcast the tournament live.

“That was my main goal this year, just to make it to state,” Parham said. “It’s a huge accomplishment for me.”

Parham said that the biggest thing he’s learned from wrestling is dedication.

“This is my 13th year coaching in Texas and this is by far the toughest region I’ve ever coached in,” King said. “We were fortunate to get who we got (to state), and I wish we could’ve gotten more there.”

To stay up-to-date on Prosper High news and views, follow Eagle Nation Online, @ENO_PHS, on both Twitter and Instagram.

Grace Williamson, Reporter

Grace Williamson was born and raised in Prosper, and she is currently a sophomore. She plans on pursuing a career in psychology. She loves pretzels and...