Analysis – Soccer looks ahead to district season following slow preseason

Senior Nolan DaRosa, No. 14, dribbles the ball in midfield. The boys will be looking for another win after playing Plano East. The Eagles will play Dallas Jesuit Tuesday, Jan. 29, at 7:30 p.m. at home.

Ana Arredondo

Ana Arredondo

Ana Arredondo

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

Boys’ soccer has won three of their last four matches following a disappointing 0-3-2 start to their preseason. This winning streak has seen the Eagles knock off Little Elm, Justin Northwest and district opponent Plano East in comeback fashion.

Friday night comeback

After being down 2-0 Friday night to the Plano East Panthers, Prosper had Nathan Smith, Cole Newman and Jack Simonini tally one goal each for the Eagles to steal the 3-2 victory. A come-from-behind district victory on the road is one way to spark motivation for a team that has a long district season on their plate.

Future matches

This upcoming week, the boys have two more district matchups against Dallas Jesuit at home and McKinney Boyd on the road. Dallas Jesuit will enter Tuesday having lost three straight against Sachse, Plano West and Boyd. As for Boyd, in addition to their win against Jesuit, tied 1-1 against the Plano East team Prosper defeated last week.

As the game is at home, the squad should handle Dallas Jesuit with ease Tuesday night. Friday night’s game will be a little bit tougher with Boyd holding the home-field advantage. With both teams having seen similar results this far into the season, this advantage might be the key for the Broncos if both teams play at similar levels.

District standings

Looking at the district standings, the Allen Eagles currently sit atop at first place. McKinney Boyd, McKinney and Plano follow with Prosper falling at fifth place. If the boys can take care of business against Dallas Jesuit, and find another way to steal a road district win against Boyd, there should be a serious change in the standings in the Eagles’ favor.

Prosper plays host to Allen Feb. 8 and visits Allen March 19 in likely crucial matches to the team’s success and odds at a playoff position.

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer

Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports...