Sports Column –
Prosper finishes 1st 6A season, looks ahead to next

Sports Column –

Senior kicker Cade York, No. 27, lays on the turf to reflect on his last football game as a Prosper Eagle. Fellow teammates Derien Ivy, No. 2, Aidan Sciano, No. 44, and Tyler Bailey, No. 17, gather around York. The Eagles fell 63-17 to the Longview Lobos Saturday night at The Star in Frisco.

Justin Hudson

Justin Hudson

Justin Hudson

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Columnist

Prosper saw their season end Saturday night with a brutal 63-17 loss to the Longview Lobos (12-0) at The Star in Frisco. The Eagles didn’t hold a single lead the entire night and fell behind the Longview offense. Although the Eagles put up 17 points, the offense struggled for most of the game and committed four turnovers. Quarterback Keegan Shoemaker finished with 125 yards passing and two touchdowns, and fellow senior Wayne Anderson rushed for 83 yards but was unable to find the end zone.

What happened against Longview?

After Longview’s first possession ended in a quick touchdown, there was a sense that the Prosper offense needed to have their best performance of the season if they wanted a chance to advance. Looking at the final score, the offense did not achieve that. From dropped passes to missed throws, the offense didn’t seem to have their usual spark for most of the game. There were also multiple opportunities for the defense to come away with interceptions that were dropped. This was a giant stage for Prosper, so it is likely that nerves or tension came into play which caused the miscues.

Justin Hudson
Varsity players, led by Cameron Valtierra, No. 40, run through the banner at the start of the Nov. 24 game against Longview. The Eagles were knocked out of the playoffs with a loss to the Lobos. “We all played our hearts out and enjoyed each and every second of it,” No. 21 Julian Britt said.

The future of Prosper football

Although Saturday was disappointing for Prosper, there is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to how they performed this season. This was the team’s first season in the 6A division, and losing in the second round of the playoffs to a dominant Longview team exceeds most expectations. The Eagles were able to play consistent football against teams they were truly better than, however, came up a little short against the elite teams such as Plano East, Allen, and of course, Longview.

The overall future looks bright for Eagle football as the team heads into next season to open the brand-new Prosper ISD stadium. Sophomore quarterback Jackson Berry had some plays over the course of this season that make him most likely to fill the quarterback position. Another sophomore, Aidan Siano looks to be a force on the defensive side. Hayden Metcalf was also a receiver that got involved often with an offense made up primarily of seniors.

This season was a memorable one. Prosper exceeded expectations and got their first taste of intense 6A football, including the final game Saturday at The Star in Frisco. Over the next few years, there will be much to look forward to for the Prosper football program.

Longview defeats football 63-17 in second playoff round

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer

Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports...