Filed under Showcase, Sports

Volleyball faces Plano in regional quarterfinal

Prosper prepares to make an attack on the McKinney defense. They defeated the Lions Oct. 2. They'll play Plano Nov. 6 at McKinney High for the regional quarterfinal title on Tuesday, Nov. 6, at 7 p.m.

Julia Solt

Julia Solt

Julia Solt

Girl’s volleyball will play Plano 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 5, at McKinney High for the Regional Quarterfinals title.

“We were really excited to go undefeated in district the second year in a row,” senior Madi Whitmire said. “We’re just really excited to hopefully beat them for the third time and continue to move on further in playoffs.”

The varsity girls took the area title at their game Nov. 2 after a win over Copperas Cove in all three sets. The Eagles finished as their regular season undefeated (12-0).

Seniors focus on what’s ahead

“It’s been really fun,” senior Kayla Martin said. “We’ve had a lot more competition, especially in district. We knew that playoffs were going to be harder, so we’re staying focused every game.”

They have previously defeated Plano twice in district games. The Eagles went 3-0 winning all sets at their second matchup Oct. 23. Senior Ciera Hecht led with 14 kills, as Martin had 12 digs and Whitmire had 36 assists along with three blocks. They’ll have to look for strong offensive plays to beat Plano for the third time. 

“We’re really fortunate to face a team we’ve played twice now,” Whitmire said. “We know who their best players are and what they do. We almost know every play that they’re going to run and every rotation, which is helpful to us.”

This season marks the last one for both seniors. Whitmire and Martin said they feel blessed to have an immense amount of support from their teammates and the community.

“I don’t want to take anything for granted,” Martin said. “It could be my last game,  and I might not know it, so I’m giving it all I have and leaving it all in the court.”

2018 Volleyball State Championships 2018 Volleyball 6A Regions 2 & 4

Ana Arredondo, Reporter and Photographer

Ana Arredondo was born in Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico and currently resides in Prosper, Texas with her family. She loves listening to music and spending...