Look back at homecoming week, Student council finishes off preparations

Student council decorates PHS
Brush in hand, a Prosper High School student council member paints a poster saying 'Fight Eagles Fight'. The group met on Sept. 10 at 4:30 to create the signs for homecoming week. Homecoming week for PHS lasted from Sept. 16 through Sept. 21.
Brush in hand, a Prosper High School student council member paints a poster saying ‘Fight Eagles Fight’. The group met on Sept. 10 at 4:30 to create the signs for homecoming week. Homecoming week for PHS lasted from Sept. 16 through Sept. 21.
Isabel Multer

With homecoming week in full swing, the town of Prosper goes all out when it comes to decorations here at Prosper High School. Prosper celebrated their homecoming last week with spirit days, a community parade, and the school dance. 

“There’s a lot that goes into making sure these signs are made in time and looking great for homecoming week,” senior Student Council member Evan Creasy said. “Each committee has their own roles, but we really just team up together and make sure that all of our ideas line up together.”

Students walked all around school last week with posters for all of the teams and organizations at PHS to keep the energy high and bright that led up to the ‘big’ weekend. 

“I think school spirit is important in general, whether it’s homecoming or any time of year,” student council advisor Candy Latiolais said. “We have a great school here at PHS, we have a lot of spirit, and our staff is very spirited. I just think it’s important to show the culture of the school and have a lot of school pride because we have a lot to be proud of here at the OG school, the Prosper High School.”

PHS student council is a group of elected members who come together to organize school events and give leadership opportunities to students.

“Honestly, my student leaders have really stepped up, and they’ve taken care of everything that we need to take care of,” student council advisor Francisco Salas said. “It gets stressful so I think just seeing students step up to the plate and being proud of their school and getting their projects done through a lot of preparation is really great.”

The student council members, along with volunteers, made signs on Sept. 10 at 4:30.

“With posters, I feel like everybody is able to be creative in their own kind of way,” Creasy said. “Each poster is different, so everybody can do their own spin, and it all comes together for school pride, so you’re really able to show yourself and your own creativity.”

Via social media, Prosper student council announces events such as dress up days, sports game days, and senior events.

“My favorite decoration is the big mum in the school, I loved coming in and seeing that,” Latiolais said. “We are a huge Texas school, we’re a 6A school and  Texas is really big about their mums and homecoming, so what better than to have a ginormous, life size mum decorating our hallways.”

The homecoming football game took place on Friday, Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. at Children’s Health Stadium. The Prosper Eagles defeated McKinney Boyd 55 to 17 putting the team at a record of two and one.

“Homecoming is like the main event for the school to come together,” Creasy said. “You’ve got the people coming for back to Prosper that are alumni, so just making sure that the school is still coming together and having pride in their school, whenever everybody comes together to celebrate the football team and just have a good week, just celebrating our school and all that.”

$759
$2000