As she prepares for her first class, Launa White finalizes her lesson for the day. She's an AP Biology and Honors Biology teacher. “You have to have a lot of patience to go into teaching in general," White said. "You also have to have a passion for science and a passion for kids wanting to help them find their place in the world."
As she prepares for her first class, Launa White finalizes her lesson for the day. She’s an AP Biology and Honors Biology teacher. “You have to have a lot of patience to go into teaching in general,” White said. “You also have to have a passion for science and a passion for kids wanting to help them find their place in the world.”
Michelle Ayala

Science teacher helps students find ‘place in this world’

Launa White connects with kids, enriches science department

She learned through massage therapy school that science matters and has real-world applications. Now, Launa White shares those ideas with her honors and AP biology students through her teaching.

“Born and raised” in Arizona,  White’s journey in education started when she graduated from massage school and furthered her career by attending Arizona State University to get her master’s in biology. Now, White leads AP Biology, Honors Biology, and the Science UIL program at Prosper High School. 

“Honestly, if you told me in high school I’d be doing something with science, I would’ve laughed because I didn’t like science until I went to massage therapy school and saw how it applied in the real world,” White said. “I had volunteered with youth groups for a long time, so I knew I had a passion to work with students in general. It was basically how I can tie all of that into one thing, which is teaching.”

White said this realization set her passion for kids to connect with science, especially the more than 1,200 freshmen who go through the science department.

“I found my love of science in general when I went to massage therapy school,” White said. “I did massage therapy for a long time and then kind of got burned out on it, but still loved science and wanted a career that I could impact youth and teach people to love science like I did.”

This passion led her to pursue a degree in teaching, and she has worked in this field ever since. 

“I went back for a master’s in secondary education,” White said. “This was so I could teach at high school.” 

White said she likes staying connected with students, and this year is her sixth at Prosper.

“I literally was at Disneyland a couple years ago and ran into a former student,” White said. “She had come from Arizona and I came from Texas, but we just happened to run into each other at the same time. She was so excited to see me, telling me about all the things she has been doing ever since I had her as a student.”

Before moving to Texas, White earned her bachelor’s degree in Social Behavioral Sciences from Arizona State University. In 2019, White and her son moved from Arizona to Texas. Since then, she’s been in the PHS Science Department, where she teaches Honors Biology and AP Biology and coaches the Science UIL team.

“It’s a challenge, honestly, trying to show that I have an interest in this stuff and then how it can be applied in real world situations,” White said. “I try to get you guys to be able to do things that are hands-on when I can.” 

White coaches Science UIL once a week. Her students meet in her room, and they discuss a different topic weekly.

“We meet every week just to nerd-out on science,” White said. “For Science UIL, we take practice tests with 20 questions each in biology, chemistry and physics. We also have students run mini-lessons.”

As department head, White said she remains fully committed to her students. As the Science UIL coach, she prepares her team for competitions by doing various practice tests and mini–lessons. 

“We’ve come a long way, so this is my fifth year as a UIL coach and I’ve had kids go on to regionals,” White said. “We’ve done well this year, and we are determined this year because I have a group really wanting to get to regionals. That’s what inspires me to keep going is because they want to fight for it and do really well.”

Competitions start in January that include both virtual and in-person events.

“Science UIL fell in my lap when I started with another teacher, Mrs. Offill,” White said. “She retired from teaching a few years ago. We took it together because neither one of us wanted to do it alone since we haven’t done it, so we teamed up together. I loved getting to work with those kids seeing what they can do. It became something that I enjoyed doing rather than having to do. At first I wasn’t super excited, but, once we got going, I just won’t give it up there to my kids and that’s my team.”

Science UIL has had three meetings this school year so far. The first one was Sept. 5. About 25 students have been active so far this year in the meetings.

“I think it’s been good for those students who didn’t have a place on campus to fit in because they weren’t into sports and stuff,” White said. “This has given them an opportunity to have a safe place to just be with people who are like them and want to learn about science.”

White said that having Science UIL gave an opportunity for kids that felt like they didn’t have a place on campus. 

“When we were teaching during Covid, it was really challenging to have students who I never saw because they were only at home,” White said. “That made me rethink how I had to be able to communicate with students, and sometimes it was using the Go-Guardian chat instead of just having that conversation with them since they weren’t in my classroom. This kind of shifted how I teach and how I open lines in communication.”

White said that not having everyday contact with her students during Covid was something she had to overcome throughout her teaching career. 

“Another big challenge was having to move states from Arizona to here, White said. “Learning the different things they do here versus over there.”

White explains the challenge she overcame when she moved to Texas from Arizona.

“You have to have a lot of patience to go into teaching in general,” White said. “You also have to have a passion for science and a passion for kids wanting to help them find their place in the world.”

As department head, White said she balances multiple responsibilities and occasionally needs to pause by taking a second to organize her workload. Despite these demands, she remains devoted to supporting and mentoring her students.

“I’m also the department head this year, so I have a lot of things on my plate, White said. “Sometimes I just have to take a minute breaking down all the things I have to get done.”

White suggests having patience is key if you want to teach, and having a ‘big’ passion for working with kids.

“Helping my kids do well this year is my goal,” White said, ” – and surviving the whole year doing team lead as head of the science department.”

$759
$2000