Freshman shows care for others, shares passion for Partners PE

Avani Hindupur develops social, career skills
Eyes+glued+to+the+paper%2C+freshman+Avani+Hindupur+and+her+partner%2C+Brandon+Libby%2C+work+on+an+activity+during+lunch.+This+is+her+first+year+in+the+Partners+PE+program.+Partners+PE+is+for+students+with+disabilities+to+get+their+energy+out%2C+Hindupur+said.+Its+a+way+for+kids+to+workout+and+participate+in+activities+outside+of+the+educational+environment.+
Partners PE
Eyes glued to the paper, freshman Avani Hindupur and her partner, Brandon Libby, work on an activity during lunch. This is her first year in the Partners PE program. “Partners PE is for students with disabilities to get their energy out,” Hindupur said. “It’s a way for kids to workout and participate in activities outside of the educational environment.”

Sitting next to her friend and classmate, freshman Avani Hindupur assists her partner, junior Brandon Libby, while he  engages one of this week’s activities. Partners Physical Education provides a class where students with disabilities work together with peers who applied to participate as helpers.

Hindupur initially started her journey in Partners P.E. because of recommendation by her sister, senior Ananya Hindupur, which led to further curiosity.

“My sister really enjoyed Partners P.E,” Hindupur said. “She was inspired by the kids in the program.”

Adviser Indira Coleman, a mentor in the program, said Partners P.E. offers a chance for students to “spread their wings” and socialize with other peers.

“I think this is a great opportunity for our life skills and our functional academic students,” Coleman said. For students to be partnered with their peers doing fun activities and to socialize is great.”

“I think it’s great way for both our students and their peers to open new doors.. to understand inclusion. I love to watch the students grow and be more independent.”

— adviser Ashley Romack

With her experience as a tutor for Gideon Math and Reading, Avani said she felt that her skills might be suitable for the program.

“I was filling out my coursework, and I remembered my work experience,” Hindupur said. “I actually have a job where I teach kids.”

As nerves grew for her first day, her interest peaked — the program hosted an informational meeting for the students who signed up for Partners P.E.

“We learned about the do’s and don’ts,” Hindupur said. “They introduced us to the classroom expectations and what we’re doing for the year like field trips.”

Meeting her partner for the first time brought sparks of excitement, but she said the nerves left as Libby hugged his previous buddy goodbye.

“It was a really exciting experience as we walked into the gym,” Hindupur said. “They were all waving at us and giving their old partners hugs, and we were also excited.”

Avani and her peers wait in the gym every class to see their partners. The class begins with the peers helping their partners exercise and practice for Special Olympics.

“Usually I’ll go to the gym, and wait for the partners to walk in,” Hindupur said. “The first five minutes, we usually warm up and meet up in the middle of the gym for a small team talk. After, we play games like capture the flag, and then start getting ready for our next field trip.”

It has only been one semester since she joined Partners PE, yet, she’s learned many lessons that she carries throughout her everyday life.

“Something I learned was that don’t judge a book by its cover,” Hindupur said. “All the kids are super friendly and funny, but you just have to get to know them.”

This course helped Hindupur understand herself and realize her passion for helping others. She also discovered an idea of what career path she may follow.

“I didn’t have an idea of what I even wanted to do coming into high school,” Hindupur said. “But, because of the things that they have taught me such as courage, dedication, and perseverance, I think there are careers that would suit me such as educational director.”

Hindupur said her experience in this program molded her to be more courageous and determined. Her partners inspire her to overcome challenges every day. Freshman Aparna Surendran said that Hindupur lightens up the mood with her enthusiasm.

“Avani has a very lively and gleeful personality,” Surendran said. “She has an infectious smile and she is always there for her friends.”

Hindupur said she will always hold special place in her heart for Partners PE, and she hopes to continue her journey throughout high school.

“My experience in Partners P.E. cannot be put into words,” Hindupur said.” However, this class is inspiring, motivating, and crazy fun.”