How to prepare for SAT, ACT exams

Kennedy Wyles, Reporter

Both underclassmen and upperclassmen looking to build testing stamina or prepare for standardized tests needed for college applications can enroll in the PSAT-prep course at the high school. Taught by math teacher Thomas Gomez and english teacher Tiffany Henschel, the class gives students an idea of what to expect on the exam.

“The exams are part of the college entrance requirements for pretty much all schools,” testing coordinator Jolene Vinson said.

Students can prepare for the exams by enrolling in test prep courses and taking advantage of online resources.

“Kaplan is another company that offers test prep for ACT and SAT,” Vinson said. “There are practice questions, practice tests and video tutorials.”

Test-prep courses offered at the high school help students improve test scores by reviewing skills that might be seen on the exam.

“A lot of the time, we go over English grammar that we haven’t used for a while,” junior Sydney Reuter said. “We are just trying to increase our speed so we are as efficient with our time as possible.”

Reuter also has a precaution before signing up for the class.

“However, if you are looking for test taking strategies or are easily confused, I would not recommend the class. A lot of time we go over English grammar that we haven’t used for a while, and it confuses some kids more than others,” Reuter said. “Overall, I think it is a pretty good class and do not think there is any harm in taking it.”

Juniors can sign up for the PSAT in October, which could potentially earn them a National Merit Scholarship. They also have a chance to take the PACT later in the fall.

“Sophomores are required to take the PSAT,” Vinson said. “It gives them an opportunity to test those waters.”

Although it is known to be an important component, the exams are not the only way to be accepted into colleges.

“Two-thirds of the admissions decisions are based on class rank, grade point average and how many AP classes a student is taking,” Penn State Vice-President Alumni Admissions Steve Atz said. “One third is based on the ACT and SAT.”

Extracurricular activity and community service hours are advantageous ways to earn scholarships and have a better chance of getting accepted.

“Sometimes, if students don’t meet the score that they’re looking for, colleges also look at the holistic part of the student regards to kind of classes they were taking and other involvements,” Vinson said.