School, local business to participate in annual homecoming parade

Ana Arredondo, Reporter

Mums, garters, spirit, dress-up days and football. This week marks the start of homecoming festivities, which means seeing school and community floats as they move from Reynolds Middle School to the high school. This year’s annual parade and community pep rally begin Wednesday, Sept. 19, at 5:30 p.m.  

“The homecoming parade is one of the biggest events of the town,” assistant principal Julie Brantley said. “It’s been a tradition ever since I’ve been here, which is seven years now, and it’s a way to get the community together.”

Eagle Nation News will bring out their desk on the corner of Coleman and Talon Way. Producer Kelly Trinh said she expects this year for ENN to be more interactive with the community.

“When the parade comes by, we’ll be interviewing people,” Trinh said. “We’ll pull one of the people walking and interview them. This year we’re gonna try and maybe live stream it. I’m really excited to see what my anchors bring out there. This is new for us, and we’ve never done anything like it. We’re 6A now, so go big or go home.”

The parade will include over 80 floats, the band and the Talonettes. The community pep rally will be in the arena after the parade.

“The parade was super fun last year, and there was a lot of floats to see,” sophomore Avery Hema said. “This year I’m expecting more floats, more candy and a ton of community spirit.”

If the weather permits, fireworks will light up the sky after the pep rally, and food trucks will also be available for the community.

“I think it’s my favorite night of the year because we see so much of the community come together,” Brantley said. “You see us all as one. That’s our motto. We’re still one high school, and we’re all one on this wonderful day.”