Football prepares for first season against 6A opponents

In the midst of the rest of the Eagles, Prosper players Reid Applewhite, No.  29, Lee Rowden, No. 10, Josh Graham, No. 14, and Caleb Cox, No. 10, reflect over the night as one of their coaches gives a recap after the end of the game. The boys played Eaton in this pre-season match-up. Head football coach Brandon Schmidt leads the Eagles.

In the midst of the rest of the Eagles, Prosper players Reid Applewhite, No. 29, Lee Rowden, No. 10, Josh Graham, No. 14, and Caleb Cox, No. 10, reflect over the night as one of their coaches gives a recap after the end of the game. The boys played Eaton in this pre-season match-up. Head football coach Brandon Schmidt leads the Eagles.

Julia Solt

Julia Solt

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer

The 2018-2019 season marks the first year Prosper will compete in the 6A athletic division in every sport. Out of all sports, however, football might be seeing the biggest jump in competition this fall.

The opponents in Prosper’s new district 9-6A prove the point that this season might be a little of an adjustment for the squad. The Eagles face reigning 6A football state-champion, the Allen Eagles, Nov. 2 on the road. Also featured in the district are McKinney, McKinney Boyd, and all three Plano schools. The days of being one of the kings of the district appear to be over, at least for now.

Kester Muthalaly
Junior Matthew Alsina punts during Friday’s scrimmage against the Eaton Eagles. Alsina usually plays as outside linebacker and fullback, but he fills in at the kicker position for this play.

It seems to be a forgone conclusion that Allen will take one of the two district playoff spots. In addition to being the defending state champs, the entire starting lineup showcases stacked Division I and II college talent. That leaves one other spot up for grabs between Prosper and the rest of the field. The early favorite looks to be Dallas Jesuit with star running back E.J. Smith. Although, Prosper doesn’t seem to be too far behind them.

All hopes shouldn’t be lost on Prosper making a deep run in the playoffs this year. The Eagles found solid success last season with current senior Keegan Shoemaker at quarterback, and the running game is sure to match at least part of what Kaleb Adams put up last year. Don’t expect the Eagles to go down without a fight this season.

Prosper football begins their long journey to a successful season against the Garland Naaman Forest Rangers next Saturday. A little different than the traditional “Friday Night Lights,” the showdown will take place at the brand new McKinney ISD stadium with an 11 a.m. start time. Football season is officially here.

About the Contributors
Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer
Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports throughout his life, and loves to write and report information to the Prosper community. His favorite sports are Football, Basketball, and Baseball, but looks to cover...
Kester Muthalaly, Photography Editor
Kester Muthalaly is senior at Prosper High School. He lives with his mom and dad, while his brother attends Oral Roberts University where Kester will soon join him. He has won a few journalism awards, and is a member of the 2018 All-State Journalism Staff. He loves going to Gateway church, as well as Photoshop...