After sweep of Frisco Centennial in round one, baseball looks forward to Sulphur Springs in round two

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

Prosper made easy work of Frisco Centennial in round one of the playoffs last week, sweeping the Titans in two games. Thursday’s matchup saw the Eagles take a commanding 5-1 victory. They carried this momentum into Friday and barely took the victory 5-4, and advanced to the second round.

Senior Dawson Zey hit a home run, while Kendall Foster added a triple to lead them to the blowout victory Thursday. A fellow senior, Braden Carmichael, pitched his way to yet another victory on the season. Carmichael has been one of Prosper’s go-to pitchers this year.

In game two, senior Conner Jackson took the pitching victory and Spencer Cochran gained a save. The bats had another strong night, with Kendall Foster hitting a home run of his own, and junior Jake Cosner hitting two triples.

The Eagles will look to take the momentum of the sweep last week and bring it into round two against Sulphur Springs this week. The Wildcats beat an extremely tough opponent, Wylie East, in three games last week. After losing the first game, 9-3, Sulphur Springs took the final two games by a combined 11 runs. Sulphur Springs comes into this weekend as an under-the-radar team, however they have a very impressive playoff victory in the first round on their belt.

Prosper is set to face off against the Wildcats once Friday night, and twice on Saturday (if necessary). The Eagles need to watch out, as Sulphur Springs could prove to be an extreme sleeper team this weekend.