Neena Sidhu

Pictured above is assistant tennis coach Brandon Womack at the Meet the Eagles event. Brandon Womack, Prosper High School’s new assistant tennis coach, has coached tennis full time for 11 years, and the past six at Plano Senior High. “My goals are to help build an athlete’s character through consistently teaching accountability and integrity to help them realize their purpose,” Womack said. “ (Also), to help them grow to reach their full God-given potential.”

New coach aspires to help students reach their goals

August 23, 2022

Coach Womack has helped me to get closer to reaching my goals by encouraging and motivating me to push myself to my limits. Pushing myself every day at practice has allowed me to take my mental and physical tennis game to another level this season.

— Ridge Daniel, senior

When he registered for an FRA class his sophomore year of college, Brandon Womack knew he was destined to be a tennis coach.

Brandon Womack, Prosper High School’s new assistant tennis coach, has coached tennis full time for 11 years, and spent the past six at Plano Senior High.

Coach Womack has helped me get closer to my goal by giving me lots of feedback. He has inspired me by his way of coaching, how passionate he is in his job and how much he cares about tennis.

— Mari Avendano, junior

“Rather than simply being a student as intended to get an easy (college) PE credit, the teacher asked me to take over,” Womack said. “(He asked me to) teach during the first week of class due to my experience.”

Coach Womack has been pushing us to become the best versions of ourselves possible, on and off the court. Not only does he want us to be great tennis players, but he inspires us to be better people, and that inspires me the most.

— Nicole Steel, sophomore

Tennis has allowed Womack to create lifelong friendships and memories.

“Tennis was the last sport that I started growing up, so it was a different technical challenge that I had never encountered before,” Womack said. “Throughout learning this game, I made lifelong friends in a lifetime sport that has now paid my bills for 11 years and counting.”

Womack shares his passion for tennis with the PHS tennis teams every day of the week.

“We prepare our athletes for practice and tournaments with a solid mixture of character building,” Womack said. “Stretching and conditioning, technical drilling, match play and game drills.”

During practices, one of Womack’s goals is to help students find their true potential in the sport.

“My goals are to help build an athlete’s character through consistently teaching accountability and integrity to help them realize their purpose,” Womack said. “ (Also), to help them grow to reach their full God-given potential.”

With success, there also comes obstacles that Womack has faced throughout his coaching career.

“One of the biggest obstacles is helping athletes realize their purpose,” Womack said. “And, (their) true potential in the sport.”

Womack has dedicated his time to helping students become better athletes and people. He described tryouts as another difficult challenge since there is only room for so many.

“The hardest thing about being a tennis coach is having to cut kids in tryouts,” Womack said. “There simply isn’t enough space to keep everyone.”

Throughout the year, Womack hopes to continue the legacy of the PHS tennis team.

“The best thing is the joy of seeing an athlete achieve their goals,” Womack said. “No matter the size of those goals.”