2018-2019 calendar changes

Next year’s calendar will be very similar to this year’s current calendar.

Morgan Harris, Reporter

There were two calendar options for next school year, and a new improved calendar is in the works.

“It actually started out with three options, and I think the reason why is you’ll have three different options that give options for a later start of the school year that goes into June,” Julie Cooper, a member of the calendar committee, said.  “Then the one that finishes before Memorial Day weekend.”

Voting was open on the PHS homepage, and there were no restrictions on who could vote.

“Teachers, parents, students,” Cooper said. “Anyone can vote.”

Voting has closed, and the options were edited based on the feedback. The calendars went before the school board for approval at the February 19 meeting.

“I’m sure after all the information is gathered,” Cooper said. “then it will be a district decision.”

There are some differences between the two schedules, including a different first day of school, different off days, and different dates for the last day of school. Overall the new schedule will look very similar to the current schedule.

“Some of the things they were talking about, they wanted some of the off days spread out a little more,” Cooper said. “We had a lot in the fall and they wanted it spread out a little more evenly between fall and spring semester.”

Students will not have a day off next year in May during AP testing. Winter break will release the Friday before Christmas.

“One of the things is students had an off day in May, and we had AP testing, so we wanted to try and make sure that didn’t happen again,” Cooper said. “Based on that new calendar for next year we will have most of the winter break holiday after the holidays.”