Prosper stuns Little Elm 56-39 to create tie for district; Wrightsil explodes for 27 points

Kester Muthalaly

Zach Wrightsil (23) goes up for the dunk in a game against Carrollton Creekview. Wrightsil scored 27 points Friday to contribute to the victory against Little Elm.

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

Prosper destroyed the Little Elm Lobos 56-39 Friday night to create a tie for first in district 14-5A. In the boys’ most important game this year, they rose to the occasion in a major way. Senior Zach Wrightsil was the star of the night Friday as he dropped 27 points, to mark the biggest game of his high school career.

Jumping out to a 11-7 lead in the first quarter, the game was Prosper’s to be won from the start. Even though star Little Elm guard RJ Hampton scored 21 points, this was an off night for him, surprisingly. Hampton also received little help from his teammates. Their second and third leading scorers, Dreylen Rose and Javian Williams, only dropped 5 points. Although Hampton is an amazing player, he needed more help from his team to pull this one off.

Kester Muthalaly
Zach Wrightsil walks out of the locker room on senior night. Wrightsil scored 27 points Friday to contribute to the victory against Little Elm.

As it was the RJ Hampton show between these two teams in the first meeting, it was the Zach Wrightsil show all throughout this matchup. Wrightsil played the best game of his career, and proved why he is one of the best players in the district, if not the area. Junior guard Josh Davis also added 13 points for the Eagles. If Wrightsil can play this well in every game for the rest of the year, there’s no reason why Prosper shouldn’t make it far in the playoffs.

This win for Prosper means there might be a tiebreaker for the district as soon as Friday. Although there is no official word yet, it wouldn’t be any surprise to see this happen. The last official district game of the season will come Tuesday night, when the Eagles travel to Carrollton Newman Smith to take on the Trojans. Assuming Prosper and Little Elm win their respective games Tuesday, expect a game with everything on the line Friday.