Prosper drops crucial loss against Little Elm Lobos, R.J. Hampton

Kester Muthalaly

Zach Wrightsil (23) leaves the bench during pregame introductions in a game against the Little Elm Lobos on January 16, 2018.

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

Basketball lost their first district game of the season against Little Elm Tuesday night. Up by 11 points at the half, Prosper gave up their lead in the second and lost by a final score of 54-52.

The Lobos were led by the strong play of R.J. Hampton; who contributed 25 points. Hampton, the #4 overall high school player in the class of 2020 according to ESPN.com, held Prosper point guard Josh Davis to only 11 points.

R.J. Hampton (14) celebrates during a game against the Prosper Eagles on January 16, 2018.

Throughout the second half, the game went back and forth between the teams. It was very obvious that these were the best two teams in the district. Prosper (ranked #6 in the state) and Little Elm (ranked #7) put on a show for the fans.

With Josh Davis being limited all night long, it was in the hands of the other players to make up for his play. Zach Wrightsil (19 points) and Kyle Jessen (9 points) were the two leading scorers other than Davis. Judging by the final score, Prosper needed just a few more players to step up in order to win this game.

This matchup between the Eagles and Lobos was far from disappointing from an entertainment aspect. The arena was absolutely packed to see the two best teams in the district square off. Prosper needs to be proud for how they competed against Little Elm. Although they weren’t able to pull out the victory, the game could’ve gone both ways. Prosper will try to rebound from this tough loss as they face Carrollton Newman Smith at home Friday.