News Brief: Prom returns after last year’s COVID-19 cancellation

Gianna Galante

In a graphic created by sophomore Gianna Galante, highlights prom, which will be May 15. Prom will take place at the Frisco Omni Hotel from 7-11 p.m. “I was a little disappointed because I lost the opportunity to go to prom with my friends who were seniors last year,” senior Emma Bish said. “But I’m excited to be attending prom this year.” 

Gianna Galante, Photographer, Reporter

In an email sent out to juniors and seniors, along with their parents, Prosper announced its plans for prom, which will be May 15 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Students can arrive until 9:30 p.m., when the doors for entry close. Tickets will cost $90 per student, and to purchase a ticket, click here. Tickets must be purchased in advance, and cannot be bought at the door. Originally the organizers scheduled the event at Southfork Ranch in Parker, Texas, but it has been moved to the Omni Hotel in Frisco. Valet parking will be offered at $16, but self-parking is free.

“Ticket prices increased due to the location change,” prom coordinator Jennifer Delano said. “Having prom at the Omni Frisco is quite a bit more expensive than the previous venues, but it allows students in close proximity to Prosper.”

Appetizers and desserts will be provided at the dance. Since last year’s prom was canceled due to COVID-19, senior Emma Bish said she looks forward to the upcoming event.

“I was a little disappointed because I lost the opportunity to go to prom with my friends who were seniors last year,” Bish said. “But I’m excited to be attending prom this year.” 

The mask mandate usually required for students during school hours will not be enforced at prom.

“Students comfortable with wearing masks are allowed to do so,” assistant principal Megan Martin said. “But, we decided on making masks optional.” 

If a student is interested in bringing a date who does not attend Prosper, a required permission form from the upper or lower houses must be filled out by May 10. To access the Google form, click here. The dress code for dresses is lenient this year, allowing spaghetti straps and slits. Breathalyzers will be presented upon entry, and once students enter the dance, there will be no re-entry. To keep a local, classic tradition alive, prom king and queen will be elected and announced at the dance.