Prosper basketball jumps out to 13-1 start to season

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

Prosper basketball finds themselves with a 13-1 record to start the 2017-2018 season. Through 14 games, the team has been quite impressive with wins against highly competitive teams like Little Elm and Richardson. Familiar faces like Josh Davis and Zach Wrightsil have lead the success thus far for the Eagles, picking up just where they left off last year.

Prosper began the season with a few tournaments, one being held right here in Prosper High School. In the tournament held at PHS, the boys managed to knock off district-favorite, the Little Elm Lobos.

What makes the Lobos a difficult team to beat is their star sophomore guard, R.J. Hampton. Hampton already has college offers from well-known basketball colleges like The University of Texas, UCLA, and Kansas. In fact, there were rumors that Hampton was going to make the move to the Orlando area to attend a well-known basketball high school, Montverde Academy. NBA basketball stars like De’Angelo Russell and Ben Simmons have attended the high school to prepare for the NBA, which makes Hampton’s intent to go there very impressive. However, with a change of heart last second, Hampton decided to stay in Little Elm one more year. As long as Hampton is a student and player with the Lobos, they will be tough to beat for any team. However, Prosper’s victory against them in the tournament shows just how competitive the Eagles will be this year.

The Eagles lone loss of the season came at the hands of Richardson, a team that they beat earlier in the season, last week. Although Prosper was beaten by the final score of 63-55, Zach Wrightsil and Josh Davis were able to turn in solid performances, and keep the matchup competitive.

Luckily, Prosper was able to overcome this defeat with a 51-29 rout of Lovejoy earlier this week. The Eagles’ ability to overcome a tough loss like this is a huge step in the right direction in producing a great season.

The boys will look to improve on their 13-1 record Friday when they face Carrollton R.L. Turner. Although we are only a portion of the way through the season, it looks very promising that Prosper basketball will do exceptional things this year.