Prosper shuts down Frisco Liberty 43-7 at “The Star”

September 18, 2017

Delaney Butler

Keegan Shoemaker (11) throws a pass against Mansfield Lake Ridge on September 8th, 2017. Shoemaker threw for 2 touchdown passes against Frisco Liberty on September 15th, 2017.

The busiest player on the football field Friday night was the Liberty Redhawks punter. Prosper shut down the Frisco Liberty offense as they cruised to a 43-7 victory at “The Star” in Frisco. The defense for the Eagles forced 2 turnovers, and held Liberty to only 112 passing yards in a dominating outing.

The two quarterbacks for Prosper, Matt Bramer and Keegan Shoemaker, passed for 2 touchdowns respectively, and over 200 yards combined in an impressive performance in the air. Unlike the usual rushing attack that was used in the first two games for the Eagles, coaches went with the passing attack against the Redhawks. The final score proved this adjustment to be successful, which included 49-yard and 73-yard touchdown passes in the 2nd quarter.

Running back Kaleb Adams had an improved performance after his 30-yard debacle in week 2 against Mansfield Lake Ridge. Although the senior only had 36 yards, he made the most of his 6 carries and also added a touchdown late in the 2nd quarter. While it was Wayne Anderson in week 2 that took most of Adams’ workload, it was David Alvarez this week that lead the team in rushes. Alvarez accounted for 75 yards on his 12 carries.

The real winner for Prosper was the bounce-back performance on the defensive side of the ball Friday night. Just a week before, the Eagles’ defense had allowed 33 points to Mansfield Lake Ridge. This week was an entirely different story. Justin Benvie’s 11-yard interception for a touchdown early in the 1st quarter sparked the amazing defensive performance for Prosper. Wayne Anderson then followed just a quarter later with an interception of his own. Prosper allowed only 237 yards of offense to Liberty the entire night.

The performance Friday was complete domination in the favor of Prosper. From the first quarter on, the Eagles held a demanding lead and never looked back. Other than a 42-yard passing touchdown from Liberty, Prosper held the Redhawks in check all night long. This victory made a statement to other teams that Prosper football is here to compete, even on a stage as big as “The Star” in Frisco.