PISD extends spring break amidst COVID-19 pandemic

Sophomore+Justin+Endicott+reads+the+COVID-19+district+update.+Superintendent+Dr.+Drew+Watkins+announced+the+decision+to+extend+spring+break+for+all+students+and+staff+for+a+week+as+a+precaution+for+the+coronavirus+pandemic.+Classes+will+resume+on+Monday%2C+March+23+for+all+campuses.+

Ana Arredondo

Sophomore Justin Endicott reads the COVID-19 district update. Superintendent Dr. Drew Watkins announced the decision to extend spring break for all students and staff for a week as a precaution for the coronavirus pandemic. Classes will resume on Monday, March 23 for all campuses.

Ana Arredondo, Editor-in-Chief

Prosper Independent School District announced a one-week extension of spring break for all students and staff earlier this evening.  Campuses and district offices will be closed through Friday, March 20, and students will resume classes Monday, March 23.

Superintendent Dr. Drew Watkins announced the decision in an email sent out to parents and staff, and in a newsletter posted on the Prosper ISD twitter, after the World Health Organization declared the new coronavirus as a pandemic.

“One of the hardest decisions I have had to make,” Watkins said. “We have many families that travel nationally and internationally over the break with no real way of screening them upon return.  There is much known but still quite a bit unknown about what we are dealing with as a country.  We decided to err on the side of caution.”

At this time, University Interscholastic League events have been postponed, and district facilities will not be available to the public. As for homework assigned before spring break, it will be due upon return. The district has created a web page to serve as a communication domain for updates on the impact of COVID-19 on the school district.

The Frisco, Allen, Plano, McKinney, Lovejoy and Wylie school districts have also followed Watkins in this decision. Collin College announced they will extend spring break as a precaution for student safety, as well.

“This is a very fluid situation that changes almost hourly,” Watkins said. “We will continue to evaluate any new information that comes our way, but we will continue to proceed cautiously.”

More information will be communicated  through PISD COVID-19 web page and Dr. Watkins. If you have traveled outside the country, or to states with mass cases of coronavirus, follow the CDC’s website for more information.