Analysis: Prosper defeats McKinney Boyd in homecoming victory, prepares for Plano West

Kicker+Brad+Larson+greets+his+friends+after+concluding+the+homecoming+game+Friday+night.+Larson+kicked+three+field+goals+and+made+2%2F3+PATs.+He+has+only+missed+one+PAT+this+season.+

Ana Arredondo

Kicker Brad Larson greets his friends after concluding the homecoming game Friday night. Larson kicked three field goals and made 2/3 PATs. He has only missed one PAT this season.

Ana Arredondo, Editor-in-Chief

Although Prosper (6-1) lost their undefeated streak after a tough loss to Jesuit, the Eagles didn’t keep their heads hung low for long thanks to a win over McKinney Boyd (2-5), 29-3. From the start of the game, Prosper controlled both sides of the ball. Although the offense had a slower start than usual, students in “The Nest”, all decked out in green, cheered as they saw a promising game end in a homecoming victory.

Bounced Back

Despite having a slow first half, the Eagles found their rhythm in the second as they managed three scoring drives. They limited the Broncos to a maximum of 60 offensive yards, and totaled 418 yards themselves. Boyd quarterback Carter Whitefield tallied 36 passing yards against Jackson Berry’s 159. The Eagles gave up a fumble while Berry threw another interception this game. However, the Broncos could not capitalize.

Brad Larson clutched the first points with a 21-yard field goal and went on to kick two more. He was the only point contributor to end the first half 6-3 with another 27-yard kick. Larson went 2/3 on extra points and was set up for a 21-yard field goal in the third quarter.

The first touchdown came from wide receiver Tyler Bailey in the third quarter with a 15-yard pass from Berry. He went on to receive a 7-yard pass to increase the score to 23-3. Running back Fisher Naumann scored his first touchdown of the season with a  7-yard carry for what would be the final score. Senior Hayden Metcalf had the most receiving yards totaling up to 60 when the game concluded.

The defense prevented the Broncos from reaching the end zone. In fact, their only points came from a field goal in the second quarter by Austin Woodruff. The Eagles had another stellar performance this week. They forced negative yardage play after play and only allowed 24 yards on the ground.

Coach’s Take

“Offensively, especially in the 2nd half we did a good job of establishing the run game,” Head Coach Brandon Schmidt said. “We did a good job all game long of moving the ball, but we have to do a better job of finishing drives in the red zone and not turning the ball over. Overall the defense played well.  They did a great job of getting to the ball and tackling as well as creating turnovers.”

Victory over Plano West

Prosper will visit John Clarke Stadium on Friday night to continue district play against Plano West (0-7). The Wolves recently lost to McKinney High 29-14. Prosper beat the Lions in the first game of district 49-14. A victory is crucial for the Eagles as they could potentially clinch a spot in the playoffs. With the record Plano West possesses, it is more than likely that the Eagles will come home with another win under their belt.