Columnist examines benefits of taking sports medicine

The student athletic trainers – senior Tasha Sayles, senior Ashlyn Wilkes, senior Kelly Cutler, senior Grammy Kornkanok Sophonsakulrat, junior Paige Benzick, junior Christian Folmar and sophomore Kylie York – stand and talk before the Sept. 27 varsity game against Plano East. In the attached column, sophomore athletic trainer and writer Kylie York covers the benefits of this program. “Even if learning about sports medicine or anything medical-related isn’t an interest or hobby of yours, I still recommend giving it a try.” York said. “Student athletic trainers are students who attend games, make sure all players have water, wrap ankles and wrists to prevent injury, and look out for the players overall health and safety.”

Kylie York, Reporter

In one rough play, a starting junior varsity football player makes the wrong move and dislocates his knee. A nervous, yet seemingly calm, student trainer rushes over to his aid to figure out what’s wrong. Immediately, she calls the head athletic trainer to assist and carry him off the field. Once back in the training room, the trainers treat the knee to prevent further injury.

Like any other club or sport, sports medicine provides a way to get involved in school activities. It’s a great way to keep yourself busy before and after school and for new or incoming students, it’s easy to make friends.

I started sports medicine last year as a freshman and have benefited greatly from the course. Even if learning about sports medicine or anything medical-related isn’t an interest or hobby of yours, I still recommend giving it a try. Student athletic trainers are students who attend games, make sure all players have water, wrap ankles and wrists to prevent injury, and look out for the players’ overall health and safety.

It’s a great way to learn about how to keep yourself healthy, whether you play a sport or not. Learning about eating, the proper way to work out and play sports is beneficial to your health and others around you.

The sports medicine course allows you to make new friends. I made lots of older friends in sports medicine that have been in sports medicine longer than I have, so they guided me through the course if I ever needed help. For new incoming students, it’s just one of the ways to make friends and get to know the school a bit better. 

There are tons of scholarships, and a sports-medicine scholarship is just one of them. Joining the sports medicine program looks good on a college resume and can make schooling a lot cheaper. Getting a scholarship in this field allows you to be in the college’s sports medicine program, not only helping you make friends in college, but it can also prepare you for your future career if you choose to pursue sports medicine.  

Usually, sports medicine takes place before or after school. Athletic trainers attend games to make sure the players are getting the proper treatment to stay healthy and hydrated. It’s a great way to take advantage of the free time you may have after school. Not only does it keep you busy, but you can get into any game for free, and for students who enjoy going to sporting events, this is a pro of joining sports medicine.

Overall, I recommend sports medicine to new or incoming students who want to pursue a career in athletic training. It’s also one of the ways to make your high school experience more enjoyable.