Judge upholds race-conscious admissions process, ex-Dallas police officer guilty of murder

Publishing every Friday, The Top 2 recaps the two most notable and important stories from the week (Saturday-Thursday). Assistant Editor Ryan Stanley covers topics ranging from issues in the U.S. to problems worldwide. For more information on stories, refer to the embedded links within the article.

Catherine Jackson and Renee Watters

Publishing every Friday, “The Top 2” recaps the two most notable and important stories from the week (Saturday-Thursday). Assistant Editor Ryan Stanley covers topics ranging from issues in the U.S. to problems worldwide. For more information on stories, refer to the embedded links within the article.

Ryan Stanley, Assistant Editor

1. Harvard’s race-aware admissions process was upheld by a federal judge on Tuesday. Students for Fair Admissions, who brought forth the lawsuit, claimed the school discriminated against Asian-Americans. Even though Judge Allison D. Burroughs cleared Harvard of the claims, she said the system was “not perfect” and offered multiple suggestions on how to improve the process.

Why it matters

The case is expected to be appealed and could land in the Supreme Court. Students applying to university are protected by affirmative action, which eliminates discrimination against applicants. Schools accomplish this by using race as a factor to protect minority groups, but there are limitations. The 2016 Supreme Court case Fisher v. University of Texas allows for the consideration of race but only under strict judicial scrutiny. Race cannot be the sole factor in determining admissions.

2. Ex-Dallas police officer Amber Guyger received a 10-year prison sentence on Thursday for murder. On Sept. 6, 2018, Guyger walked into the wrong apartment believing it was hers and fatally shot 27-year-old Botham Jean. She was off duty but still in uniform. Guyger faced five to 99 years or life in prison.

Why it matters

Justice, forgiveness and race became the central themes of the trial as emotions ran high; especially after the sentencing when Botham Jean’s brother hugged Guyger and said he forgave her. Dallas Police Chief U. Reneé Hall called for review of incidents brought to light by the trial, which could spark changes within the Dallas Police Department.